BPL Community Profile

Ryan Jordan (ryan) - BPL Staff

My Locale Greater Yellowstone
About Me Backpacking Light Magazine Publisher and co-founder. My "home" backpacking areas are the national parks and wilderness areas of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. My own approach to ultralight backpacking currently focuses on reducing the number of items in my kit, to achieve simplicity and efficiency on the trail, and applying UL techniques and materials to long hikes w/o resupply.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.ryanjordan.com/
My PDF Gear ListFall 2007 Absaroka Backbone

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ryan Jordan

Showing 131 - 140 of 1188 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...119

Forum » Thread

CAMP X3 600 Ski Pack Review
Companion forum thread to: CAMP X3 600 Ski Pack Review

In Editor's Roundtable » CAMP X3 600 Ski Pack Review
May 01, 10:08pm

Thread Removed Until Further Notice
This forum thread has been removed from public view until further notice while we research some of the claims and safety issues presented herein.

In GEAR » Orange thingy on JB sol ti
March 01, 9:40am

Nail stakes
Nice long nails are my preferred stakes as well. They're heavy though. Does anyone make an 8+ inch long, 0.25" dia.+ Ti nail?

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
January 25, 2:52pm

load stress in guylines
Jason - I posted a sample graph of the type of data we are getting from load cells in another thread: Tension Forces in a Guyline Measured Using an Inline Load Cell (Graph) It's cool stuf...

January 25, 2:46pm

tension stresses on stakes
Those stresses are measured using load cells inline with the guy line.

January 25, 1:58pm

Potty Trowel as a Tent Stake
Mike, so do you wait until the wind dies down before you p00p?

January 25, 11:07am

Stakes for Trailstar
I have my TS pitched today in a good old fashioned Montana winter wind storm. We had gusts this morning to 70mph, but at my location, the max gust was only about 55mph. To deal with 50+ mph wind...

January 25, 10:47am

Trailstar Cuben vs. Sil
@Mike: I hope the Cuben Trailstar is manufactured properly. Then, we can receive the weight saving benefits of Cuben while still having some good storm resistance. I haven't seen the Cuben TS y...

January 25, 6:24am

TrailStar Cuben vs. Sil
David, To make a quality shelter from Cuben: (a) you understand how it behaves on the bias so you can take advantage of what little stretch it does have, and you can take advantage of fiber orie...

January 24, 7:54pm

small tarps and bad weather
Luke, I'm with you, but I didn't use to be. I used to think it was pretty awesome tearing through a storm under a poncho, or a small tarp. I still do so occasionally, but it's defini...

January 24, 7:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Ryan Jordan

Showing 1 - 10 of 51 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Review

Category

Jolt Gum
You guys are rookies. Look at the times at which you are posting. I consumed four pieces of Jolt two hours ago and look at me, still going strong at 2 am. There is a weird flavor to it, but I ca...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 12, 1:51am

Mike Clelland! GOO Energy Gel
I've used Mike's, and made my own per his recipe. It's nasty. The color, I mean. Like a pukey green. But then again, that may very well provide some of its social appeal when hiking or skiing in...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 02, 10:46pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
OK, I'm partial. I grew up in Seattle. For a kid who dreamed about the wilds endlessly, my Dad taking my family from our home in the burbs to Capitol Hill was a real treat for me. I have fond me...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 19, 1:11am

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
If you love to WALK and you haven't read this book then you are (1) not only missing out on a rite of passage that qualifies you to even claim that you're a backpacker, (2) but also ignoring what may ...

In Books and Media
November 15, 9:49pm

Black Diamond Winter Bivy
I have a few Epic bivies, one from Oware, one from BD (Lightsabre) and one from Bibler (this one, the Winter Bivy). They are both great in the summer, especially in rainy weather, where the Epic treat...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
November 15, 11:37am

ULA Equipment
I've known Brian Frankle for a few years. Recently, Brian made backpacks for us for the Arctic 1000 expedition. He was very attentive to our feedback, delivered on time, made adjustments as needed, an...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 13, 10:29pm

Six Moon Designs Essence
Welllll, I must say, I think PJ did a fine review above, but if you're looking for additional reading insight, I don't think I can follow up. I feel like the local coffee shop guitar player with a bad...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 13, 9:26pm

ULA Equipment Relay
I love the Relay. It's my favorite pack for multi-day mountain running because it's so small (tucks into the lumbar) and shaped so well (hourglass) for running. Improvements could be made by adding...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 13, 9:17pm

Montrail Vitesse
This is my go-to shoe for all of my longer unsupported/no resupply treks where I absolutely cannot have a shoe fail en route. I've worn through about six pair of Vitesse now, all of them had more t...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 13, 12:39am

Inov8 Mudclaw O'330
Far and away my absolute favorite light shoe for what the Brit's call "fell running" but what I might call "tundra" trekking. It's great in soft ground (tundra, mud) but abysmal on trails and slickroc...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 13, 12:33am