Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 131 - 140 of 961 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...97

Forum » Thread

Re: One Pole? And what about the other gear...?
Great article. Wow, Forrest McCarthy writing on Nordic Backcountry skiing. What's next, Mike Clelland drawing illustrations about backpacking light? Seriously, though, great work BPL. I think i...

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear: Part 2 - Advanced Nordic Ski Mountaineering on UL Tele Gear
December 19, 12:18pm

Re: Nordic BC boot
I haven't noticed any compression of the thinsulate. I don't think it is like leather. I don't think it will fit very differently in the future. Generally speaking, a lot of these boots...

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
December 18, 12:55pm

Re: another ski boot q
That's not normal, Velimir. It is probably just the particular nature of the boot and your foot. One thing you might try is using a custom insert (one of those heat moldable ones). I did that w...

December 17, 3:59pm

Re: ski boots
I agree, the fit is the key thing. Especially with plastic boots, where there is less likely to be much give (which is the point). In other words, heavy leather boots are more likely to feel better...

December 17, 11:32am

Re: Skied today
I skied today as well. Things have been pretty good in the Northwest and about to get better. We did the opposite, though, and talked about gear most of the time. We saw some folks using Voile gear...

December 16, 8:30pm

Re: Backcountry an AT ski gear
>> Also i don't clearly understand what for we need skis like Rossignol BC 125, Voile Charger BC. To use them in Ross Bleakney's brother mode? Yes, exactly. I have to mention, by t...

December 14, 2:25pm

Re: Skis
I believe the big Fischers and Rossignols have a bit of camber, but that isn't true of all the big waxless skis. I have a pair of Alpina Lite Terrain skis that have very little (if any) camber....

December 14, 12:05pm

Re: Re: Re: double sleeping bag/quilt
My wife and I use the Penguin with hoods and a fleece groundsheet. If we were shopping now, we would probably get the Spoonbill. The Penguin is a bit roomier around the feet, but a bit heavier (not...

In GEAR » double sleeping bag/quilt
December 13, 5:42pm

Re: Re: An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear
I agree Paul, a skinnier ski with a firm boot can work really well. A soft boot and a fat ski is a challenge. I have a pair of Rainiers as well, and use them with BC boots for a great all around No...

December 13, 8:30am

Re: All "SkiMo" gear is basically the same weight...
Jonathan wrote: "It is a shame though that while racing improves nordic track/skate gear and AT gear, there's just no market for lightweight efficient nordic backcountry gear. I still en...

December 12, 11:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm