BPL Community Profile

Rick M (rmjapan) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Tokyo, Japan
About Me Rick M has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick M

Showing 131 - 140 of 1006 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
I am skeptical of Montbell's ultra high Fill Power ratings as the down/feather content seems off compared to others. Montbell seems stuck at 90/10 ratio for 800FP, 900FP, and 1000FP while some ...

In GEAR » Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
April 30, 5:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
JC, you would be wildly overestimating the amount of down at nearly 50% of the jackets weight thinking it has 180g-200g of down. Not even the Mirage with its 7D fabric has a fill ratio that high. T...

April 30, 1:24am

Re: Montbell Alpine Down Parka (not "Light") & new Montbell stuff
I think you can guessitmate, given the fabric weight and feature set of the Alpine Down Parka, that the fill weight is ~4oz/125g. At half the price of the USA Mirage it is a good value. The Japa...

April 30, 12:11am

Re: Just purchased
Maybe should have waited until you got to Korea, Nathan. You may find the climate and campsite terrain unsuitable for that TT design.

In GEAR » acceptance into UL backpacking. the tent!
April 28, 6:46pm

Re: now i SEA
Survival knife? You better check the Korean law on that. In Japan you would be arrested if found carrying any knife with a blade length over 5cm (2")! Seen it happen to countless foreign backp...

In GEAR » Moving Overseas: bringing our backpacking gear
April 27, 7:05pm

Re: shipping
Nathan, the $200 quote surprised me but it seems the USPS no longer offers SEA MAIL service. Everything is sent by air now! Still, I would just box my stuff up instead of buying new large "...

April 27, 6:42pm

Re: Moving Overseas: bringing our backpacking gear
My advise is to travel light and use your "luggage money" to box/ship your necessary belongings via sea mail and not buy more luggage because odds are you won't have the space to stor...

April 27, 5:41pm

Re: Bivy or Duomid for speed treks
Sounds like you are in training for something like the Trans Japan Alps Race! http://www.tjar.jp/index.html The NHK program I watched on the race showed many of them using a zelte or a SOL b...

In GEAR » Bivy or Duomid for speed treks
April 25, 6:10pm

Re: Thank you
Yeah, you musta had a good chuckle with the advice in this thread! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiN6ZU0KFlc

In Philosophy & Technique » Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
April 25, 2:45am

Re: HELP with new trail shoe choice.
For the weight you are carrying, I would NOT wear a trail runner. Best to go with a mixed leather/synth mid boot and a Vibram sole if possible. You can find a non-Goretex model under 600g/boot depe...

In GEAR » HELP with new trail shoe choice.
April 24, 11:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick M

Rick M has posted no reviews.