BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 131 - 140 of 779 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...78

Forum » Thread

Yellowstone 2013
Kevin, I could certainly be talked into the Thorofare or Gallatin Skyline/Sportsman's Lake routes in YNP or the Teton Crest in nearby Grand Teton NP. Let me know if I can help in planning. T...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Alaska, Yellowstone, and awesome group trips for 2013! Let's plan now!
January 01, 8:40am

keeping the main thing the main thing
Two things always trump weight savings. The first is obvious to all - safety. The second is not always so obvious on this forum - fun. If you get pleasure from carrying six ounces less than your bu...

In Philosophy & Technique » King of Denial
December 30, 7:46am

2013 plans
(1) More pleasure trips. I love my service trips but as I age I'd like some more time to smell the roses, so to speak. (2) More packrafting. (3) More trips with the girls and guys on the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 Plans
December 28, 8:53pm

WM Aspen
I used one of these for twenty years. Great bag. Go for it somebody!

In Gear Swap » FS WM sleeping bag
December 23, 8:35am

Availability
March 21-24 range is good for me as it now stands. I might be able to drive someone from Bozeman, and flights to Bozeman tend to be less expensive than Missoula or Kalispell.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous
December 18, 7:17pm

Couple's bags
I've used two systems with varying degrees of success. For years I used a Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler with a WM semi-rec bag. OK to about freezing. Lately I have mated two Nunatak Bac...

In GEAR » double sleeping bag/quilt
December 10, 12:36pm

Pot slipping off
Diane, Get a Jetboil system. Designed to avoid that problem. And worth every extra ounce for its reliability, efficiency, and versatility. Richard

In GEAR » The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
November 29, 8:01pm

Tinyurl
Sorry team, tinyurls from now on. Richard

In GEAR » Combining two down bags for warmth
November 29, 6:20am

Combining bags
I've done it, and in fact bought an overbag for that purpose, see http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Feathered%20Friends%20Great%20Auk%20Sleeping%20Bag/Owner%2...

In GEAR » Combining two down bags for warmth
November 28, 6:12pm

gear for your girlfriend
I'd start at L L Bean. Great gear (often made for Bean's by very high-end manufacturers), reasonable prices, and shipping is included in the prices. I think they have a 10 or 155 off sale t...

In GEAR » I need your help picking out gear for my beloved girlfriend!
November 24, 10:48am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm