BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 131 - 140 of 1573 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Enigma Quilt
Dave, 50% is less than than the humidity used to determine fill power and the EN 13537 ratings. So, it will provide more insulation than the specs.

In GEAR » enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.
October 20, 11:33pm

Re: iclo calculations
JC, I am currently in Bali and only occasionally have an Internet connection. I will make this brief; your assumption that iClo improves proportionately with fill power is wrong. The algorithm ...

In GEAR » Patagonia Encapsil Belay Parka Reverse Engineered
October 06, 5:27am

Re: Balloon cloth vs hybrids
Samuel, I finished a non- aged analysis of the three samples you sent me: The Royal Blue sample has some surface defects that cause squirting at a relatively low HH. Since this is the sa...

In Make Your Own Gear » Hybrid Cuben Fiber - Nylon Fabric
September 22, 10:17pm

Re: Re: Re: M50 rain jacket
Jerry, At...ta...boy... You now understand the "secret" for designing a UL DIY WPB rain shell, without a coating or membrane... its the liner. The "non-secret" part of the...

In Make Your Own Gear » M50 rain jacket
August 30, 11:09pm

Re: M50 rain jacket
Jerry, I tested Thru-Hiker M50 in a report I posted to this forum in 2011. The areal density was .7 oz/yd2; the air permeability was 73.2 CFM; and the HH was 70.30 mm H2O. Based on those numbers...

In Make Your Own Gear » M50 rain jacket
August 30, 11:01am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement
Eric's layering advice is very sound. Likewise, your dress and sleep ensembles will handle moisture vapor the best way possible.

In GEAR » Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement
August 28, 10:04am

Re: Re: Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement
Stephen, I am in the process of designing the applicable test equipment. It is a much bigger job than I originally anticipated. For the foreseeable future I am just going to have to rely on othe...

August 27, 9:49pm

Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?10158-quot-Water-Resistant-quot-Down-tested-to-failure&p=129915#post129915

August 27, 9:21pm

Jetboil sol piezo igniter
Anyone know how to purchase a replacement? The Jetboil Maintenance Kit is compatible with the Jetboil Personal Cooking system and Jetboil Group Cooking system; it is not compatible with the Jetb...

In GEAR » Jetboil sol piezo igniter
August 10, 4:51pm

Re: Wearing a windshirt as a single layer in hot weather?
Justin, Windshirt is a term without definition or resolution. You can ask about a specific windshirt manufactured in a certain year and it will have meaning. Otherwise, it is like asking are car...

In GEAR » Wearing a windshirt as a single layer in hot weather?
July 23, 2:08am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm