BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 131 - 140 of 7096 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...710

Forum » Thread

Re: route.
Early September is about the best time - crowds gone, bugs gone, weather still good Occasionally there will be some rain but you're East of the Cascades where there's less rain I bet ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Weather for September in "Oregon Outback"
July 10, 10:56am

Re: IDFL test results on downproof fabrics
I made something with fabric that turned out to not be very downproof - still usable but agravating after putting in the time and money to make it. It would be nice if it weighed more like 0.7 o...

In Make Your Own Gear » IDFL test results on downproof fabrics
July 09, 8:57pm

Re: Dirty TP
wow! Do you really want to go there? : ) It depends on how wet it is how many sheets of TP are required. And how long from contact to releasing it.

In Editor's Roundtable » Delmar's Poll
July 09, 7:22pm

Re: Re: Re: re:
"The same holds true for global warming or any other issue... one can believe in the "cause" conceptually based on facts or faith and still have questions, chosing not to condemn oth...

In Chaff » Belief versus Facts
July 09, 7:19pm

Re: re:
I agree, good to be skeptical But, take global warming You have to measure CO2 in atmosphere, ice cores, do statistical analysis of temperatures all over the globe over an extended period of ...

In Chaff » Belief versus Facts
July 09, 4:58pm

Re: What do you think of this tent?
Lots of condensation When you open the door, water from side of tent will drip on you But, the light weight is good

In GEAR » What do you think of this tent?
July 09, 4:43pm

Re: Delmar's Poll
Kind of like I thought Most people have a 12 pound base weight, not super lightweight Most people have canister stove - lightweight, convenient, powerful - not those alcohol or esbit stoves ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Delmar's Poll
July 09, 1:51pm

Re: seatac to rainier shuttle
If you wanted to go PDX to Mt Hood maybe I could help. Same lack of public transportation as Rainier. The Google says Ace Taxi 253-589-1000 and Yellow Cab go from Seatle Tacoma area to Mt Rai...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Shuttle from SeaTac to White River CG, Rainier
July 08, 10:01pm

Re: Down Supplier
That's what I get - 800 cubic inches = 3.46 gallons You're supposed to put a weighted disk on top that compresses it a little. Maybe just a piece of cardboard? I would think a taller...

In Make Your Own Gear » Down Supplier
July 08, 2:06pm

Re: re:audiobooks and travel insurance
http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks - free audio books, mostly classic off copyright. They have a link to 1000 free online courses, for examples lectures from college courses. I've be...

In Chaff » My annual list of audiobooks for hiking
July 08, 1:16pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.