Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 131 - 140 of 7860 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...786

Forum » Thread

Re: Jerry's baffle
The way they test down is to dry it, then put it in a cylinder of some size, then put a specific weight on top and let it compress the down that much volume of cylinder occupied / weight of down...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Insulation Mess
November 14, 11:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jerry's baffle
"Tim ain't exactly a shady vendor either" I think Tim makes excellent quilts, based on comments here. And if he sells a 30 F quilt and people are happy, that experience is better ...

November 14, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Float coat
maybe river rafting or canoeing?

In GEAR » Synthetic jackets - how do they really perform in wet conditions?
November 14, 8:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Water Strategy
I say I'll quit drinking once a day, and smoking too : )

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Water Strategy
November 14, 3:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jerry's baffle
The best clo to temp is Richard's chart http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9378/index.html The MET=0.8 line is what to use for sleeping. That might b...

November 14, 3:00pm

Re: Synthetic jackets - how do they really perform in wet conditions?
"or if I've been breathing into my quilt/sleeping bag without realizing it (um, my entire patagonia trip with my last sleeping bag...)" Don't do that. Resist the urge. I have...

In GEAR » Synthetic jackets - how do they really perform in wet conditions?
November 14, 2:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sriracha
ahhh... I knew something was fishy there I just got my conspiracies wrong Still, I want some of that hot sauce that's so hot they got sued : )

In GEAR » Sriracha!!!
November 14, 9:58am

Re: OS Ah-ha (second attempt)
That sounds reasonable - yeah, nylon not stiff so wants to assume circular shape But then baffles should be perfect circles - baffle width = loft. That's what you get with symetric sewn thr...

November 14, 9:56am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jerry's baffle
yes, just use H, multiply by 1.3 for overstuff. That's the same as if you used conventional box baffles. I don't think there's any max limit to down bag. Make it as big as you want...

November 14, 8:41am

Re: Re: Sriracha
"It's sold empty. Capacity 1.25 fl oz" So, you're paying $7 for an empty bottle that you can attach to your keychain Just a fad thing It would be kind of cool though, to ...

In GEAR » Sriracha!!!
November 14, 8:17am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.