Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Denis Hazlewood (redleader) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
About Me 75 years old. Started backpacking in the late 60's. Raced small sailboats for 20 years until I moved to Lake Tahoe in '83. Started backpacking again and upgraded my gear shaving 20lbs off my back. Began CARRYING A GOOD THING TOO FAR, a workshop for beginning backpackers in 1987. Hiking mostly in the northern Sierra, Lost Coast and Southern Cascades. Was introduced to lightweight backing by my friend and hiking partner, Donn Nibblett, and have experimented with alcohol stoves and, most lately, an ultralite titanium mulit-tool potty trowel.
CityPetaluma
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 131 - 140 of 1222 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...123

Forum » Thread

Re: pump storage
Probably not. Just one less step from cold stove to hot dinner.

In GEAR » stove pump "storage tube"
November 29, 8:17pm

Re: stove pump "storage tube"
What kind of stove do you have? And why do you remove the pump from the fuel bottle? I used various MSR white gas stoves for years and never removed the pump except to service the pump or fill th...

In GEAR » stove pump "storage tube"
November 29, 7:53pm

Re: ground cloth preference
Tyvek, cut to shape for both my Evolution 2P and Tarptent Sublite. I fold them (dirty side in) and stuff them into the bottom cylinder of my LuxuryLight pack; along with the tent and NeoAir, all w...

In GEAR » ground cloth preference
November 29, 7:44pm

Re: Caldera Cone Question.
I did a tutorial on installing Ti spoke bail handles on all my BPL Firelite SUL pots. I usually bookmark stuff like that but evidently didn't that time, and can't find it now. Pretty easy...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone Question.
November 16, 11:45pm

But, whatever you do...
Don't ever let anyone put their hand into your trail-mix bag.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Do you filter?
November 14, 12:01am

Re: Single malt and 'stuff'.
A dash of Peppermint Schnaps in your Cocoa. Especially Ghirardelli's Chocolate Mocha. Now that's a tasty treat to set before the King.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Rum & Coke?
November 13, 11:54pm

Re: bears
Except for the times when I camp in areas known to have bear problems, areas where canisters are required, or when camping in national parks, I never take any special precautions regarding food sto...

In Philosophy & Technique » bear avoidance & cooking
November 13, 11:39pm

Re: Re: My Best Gear Ever
Not necessarily in order of best to whatever... 1. Tarptent Sublite 2. NF Beeline 3. BPL SUL Firelite Ti pots: 1100(Manny), 900(Moe), 550(Jack). They all rock. 4. Luxurylight backpack ...

In GEAR » You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
November 11, 1:38pm

Re: Okay, so the transporter is optional
And... able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.

In GEAR » What do you get when you cross Henry Shires, Ron Moak, and Ron Bell?
November 11, 1:12pm

Re: Zipper Length
I have both the old -no zipper- and the new -half zipper- NF Beeline bags. I actually prefer the no-zip version. The zipper on the newer -half zip- version is too short to be of much use. Edit...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Sleeping Bag Review
November 11, 1:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
Brett, Is he any worse than RJ? I mean Corn Pasta? Did you ever try Corn Pasta? You should have seen all the Corn Pasta in the drop boxes at PCT mail drops just after he published the Corn Pasta b...

In Books and Media
February 14, 11:05pm

Martin Backpacker Guitar
James you're right-on for every point. I have a late '50s Martin 18G-00. It's a dream, but no way I'd haul an axe that heavy (and that valuable) into any canyon. My Backpacker too s...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 25, 6:20pm

LuxuryLight Modular External Frame Backpack
I had carried my LuxuryLight external frame backpack for the most of the 2005 season when I slipped and slid 8 feet down a creek bank. The pack frame took my 200 lb. load plus the 26lbs. in the pack....

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 24, 3:42pm

Big Sky Products Evolution 2P
On December 6, 2005 I ordered my Big Sky Evolution 2P tent. It was finally delivered on December 14, 2006. It took 373 days of badgering Bob Molen and I had just about given up hope of ever getting ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
January 19, 6:03pm

Keebler Fudge Peanut Butt. filled cookies (like Reese's)
These get my 5/5 rating also. They are absolutly a stealth food. If the others find out you've got them you'll have to share. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The only thing better is more.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
January 15, 2:51pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
In 1986 I was wandering around in a local outfitters store and saw my first Sling-Light. I bought one with the optional headrest. The first time I carried it was on the Tahoe-Yosemite trail from Mee...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 15, 12:43pm

Big Sky International
On December 5, 2005 I ordered, and paid for, an Evolution 2P tent from Bob Molen. Bob has given me many promised delivery dates, the most recent on November 29, 2006, when Bob said he had the tent. ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 12:47pm

LuxuryLite Gear Modular Frame Pack
I have just finished two backpack trips using the LuxuryLite Pack. Mine is the all carbon fiber model, with three extra large cylinders. I'm still learning how to pack the cylinders but I think ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 01, 4:34pm