Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 131 - 140 of 10239 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...1024

Forum » Thread

Re: Rock plate?
Hi Jeff I run over some rough ground every morning, and the soles seem stiff enough to me. I do not want super stiff rock plates as they kill proprioception, which can lead to ankle injuries. Di...

In Editor's Roundtable » New Balance Leadville MT1210 Runners version 2 Spotlight Review
March 18, 2:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old ideas
> If my total pack weight is 40lbs versus 25lbs, really I don't know how much of a > difference it will make, you still have to hike a marathon every day! Chuckle. I suspect others her...

In Gear Lists » SirTonka's 2015 PCT Gear List
March 17, 8:54pm

Re: Cold feet
Old saying, but very true: If your feet are cold, put on a hat. If your head gets cool (not cold, just slightly cool), your body will shunt lots of hot blood to your head. Your feet are the fir...

In GEAR » Cold sleeper - what to do?
March 16, 3:01pm

Re: Denier vs fabric weight?
In theory you cannot go from one to the other. Fabric weight is obvious. Denier was originally the fineness of a single fibre in the thread. A thread might have 10 fibres, or it might have 100. I...

In GEAR » Denier vs fabric weight?
March 16, 5:07am

Thread closed
Hi all This is getting a bit too personal. I have no idea who did what, to who, with what, when, how, but it is not how we would like BPL to be. Cheers Roger Caffin Online Community Monitor...

In Chaff » PSA: How To Annoy A Mom on BPL
March 14, 9:58pm

Re: Now I've Seen it All! (and maybe this will provide a good distraction from other flame-outs in Chaff...)
Can I assume that he was NOT selected? Effective tactic. Cheers

In Chaff » Now I've Seen it All! (and maybe this will provide a good distraction from other flame-outs in Chaff...)
March 14, 9:49pm

Re: Moisture and R-value
> Roger, do you have any plans to test this? Inquiring minds want to know. For extensive air mat testing, see: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/airmat_sotmr_part1_2011 ...

In GEAR » Inflating UL Synmat 7 by mouth - loss of insulation?
March 14, 6:10pm

Re: Verso pull-on
> explain how reversing a jacket can change its wind resistance/breath-ability? I scratched my head over that one as well. A bit warmer, sure, possible. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » ISPO 2015
March 14, 3:20pm

Re: coffee
Just a caution about those coffee bags. Check what is in them carefully. The ones sold in Australia contain ground coffee and 'soluble coffee'. What that really means is that there is a lit...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » coffee
March 14, 3:17pm

Re: Only a 1000mm HH rating?
> I am not sure with that design and a 1000mm HH rating on the rainfly you are going to > have any meaningful protection from a prolonged downpour. I thought 1500mm HH > was essentially ...

In GEAR » MSR Flylite -- Reviews?
March 14, 3:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm