Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 131 - 140 of 10467 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...1047

Forum » Thread

Re: silnylon rain gear question
It does not breath, and you will get wet from sweat. Normal. No, silnylon does not 'wet out and become soaked' in the way other fabrics do. Think of it as a thin sheet of reinforced sili...

In GEAR » silnylon rain gear question
June 01, 4:57pm

Re: Tents for hard surfaces? Pegless?
> Just wondering what tent you'd recommend for surfaces too hard to use pegs? It's a good question. You have to be ingenious. The duct tape on the boat deck sounds good. On tent platfo...

In GEAR » Tents for hard surfaces? Pegless?
June 01, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tacky silnylon tarp issues
> Pro Silnylon > MLD Pro Silnylon 2015 30d X 30d High Tenacity Type 6-6 RipStop Nylon coated with a > Silicone-PU blend. I have fabrics which have a silicone coating on one side and a...

In GEAR » Tacky silnylon tarp issues
May 31, 5:06pm

Re: BRS-3000T cleaning, Part I
> While my first one was acceptably well made, the second one was what you might think > of as stereotypical "low cost country" junk. I'm posting this as a reference in case &...

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
May 31, 4:55pm

Re: answering slowly again
Hi Mike > Regarding dynamic loading, are you talking about failing the tent structure or > failing the guyouts? In wind tests it's the structure that fails and non-stretch > is th...

In Gear Deals » #Moonlight tent ...
May 31, 4:16pm

Re: Re: Tacky silnylon tarp issues
> I imagine the PU coat is breaking down. Unlikely - afaik MLD only sell the tarp in silnylon and Cuben. Cheers

In GEAR » Tacky silnylon tarp issues
May 31, 1:34am

Re: Re: Update re BRS-3000T version withdrawn
Hi Bob I am not sure whether we have any readers in Africa. I know we have readers in the Americas, Australia, across Europe, Israel and Japan, because I have shipped stoves there. Cheers

In Gear Deals » More Winter Stoves becoming available
May 31, 1:30am

Update re BRS-3000T version withdrawn
Hi All So far I have shipped batch 1: 10 stoves with FMS-116T burners batch 2: 27 stoves with FMS-300T burners batch 3: 22 stoves with FMS-300T burners batch 4: 9 stoves with FMS-300T burner...

In Gear Deals » More Winter Stoves becoming available
May 30, 8:53pm

Re: NZ Gear List for December
Add industrial strength insect repellant and ultra-fine-weave mosquito netting, for the sandflies. Skip the hand sanitizer - it'sd a silly idea. Just ordinary soap and water. Cheers

In Gear Lists » NZ Gear List for December
May 30, 3:58pm

Re: Best deodorant to use with Icebreaker shirts?
I don't think many hardliners ever touch the stuff. It is not good for you anyhow - you need to perspire. Cheers

In GEAR » Best deodorant to use with Icebreaker shirts?
May 30, 3:54pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm