BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 131 - 140 of 9448 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...945

Forum » Thread

Re: Batteries
> Not sure if they all come with expensive proprietary batteries Not these days, afaik. Just buy GOOD (ie top brands and more expensive) CR123 batteries (for the Opti), and you will be fine. ...

In GEAR » Would a newbie survive PCT w/ a steripen?
August 21, 4:00pm

Re: Extra Hat and Base Layer Top
> Bring an extra warm hat/balaclava and base layer top. When you get to your camp site, > the ones you have been hiking in will be wet with perspiration. If they are wet with perspiration, ...

In GEAR » What kind of layers do I need for 14 Fahrenheit?
August 21, 3:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Let's talk boot gaiters
> > "I use MYOG gaiters in the Dirty Girl style, using a heavy Lycra fabric. > You don't use them for walking off trail through brush though, right? Those lycra gaiters > do...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Let's talk boot gaiters
August 21, 3:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Worn threads
> my info so they could set up a return authorization and I can send in the burner for > them to evaluate it and repair it. Just a caution here. Jetboil have a well-known reputation for ...

In GEAR » JetBoil Sol update?
August 21, 3:48pm

Re: Winter Stove Discussion - 2014
> has anything come out recently to upset the top liguid-fuel contenders? Oh, definitely. Liquid-fed or inverted canister stoves have rendered the old white gas and kero stoves almost compl...

In GEAR » Winter Stove Discussion - 2014
August 21, 3:45pm

Re: Mixed feelings about vestibules
> Most of my gear is highly water resistant anyways, so why worry too much about vestibule space? My quilt is not. My spare clothing is not. Me is not. Cheers

In GEAR » Tent vestibules and TENT VESTIBULES
August 21, 12:51am

Re: Would a newbie survive PCT w/ a steripen?
> Would a newbie survive PCT w/ a steripen? Well, used correctly, a newbie should not have water problems that way. Whether he would survive the PCT based on that alone ... :-) Cheers

In GEAR » Would a newbie survive PCT w/ a steripen?
August 21, 12:43am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tits and Tats
> Wouldn't temperature affect where that dewpoint is going to occur? Of course. > Is there some energy involved at higher temps where water vapor could be transported more easily ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thermodynamics with down
August 20, 8:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Questions from the LIVE event
> Try camping somewhere serious in a bright yellow tent... Been there, done that ... worked just great. But blue does attract insects: they think it is UV. Cheers

In GEAR » SNEAK PEEK: 2015 Sierra Designs TENSEGRITY ShelterS
August 20, 6:04pm

Re: Getting rid of lemon-y plastic bag smell
Air and sun. Cheers

In GEAR » Getting rid of lemon-y plastic bag smell
August 20, 6:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm