BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 131 - 140 of 9573 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...958

Forum » Thread

Re: Salami
> how long can salami go after cutting into the log How hot is your summer? Maybe two weeks when warm. Winter time - might be colder than your fridge! A LONG time there. > a log will las...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Salami
September 20, 12:45am

Re: Tyvek Inner Mesh Tents, Singles and Doubles Available.
To post in Gear Deals there must be some sort of special deal offered for BPL readers, above what is available on your web site. What is it? Also you should clearly state your interest in the co...

In Gear Deals » Tyvek Inner Mesh Tents, Singles and Doubles Available.
September 19, 3:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Found a couple more options
> One 3V CR123A Lithium battery > One AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline, or Lithium) battery > A lithium primary battery typically has a little more open circuit voltage. Note that a CR123 gives 3...

In GEAR » Single AA battery headlamps
September 19, 3:35pm

Re: Re: UL at 0° F?
> do snow shoes count as base weight ;-) We do not normally count clothing or footwear as 'base weight', so snowshoes would not be included either in my book. But there are no offici...

In Winter Hiking » UL at 0° F?
September 18, 10:08pm

Re: Re: Re: "Artifacts"
> Roger, can you enlighten me as to why you edited my comment (and William's) We do have minors reading these Forum channels. As a matter of policy we attempt to keep the language to a st...

In Philosophy & Technique » LEAVE NO TRACE
September 18, 10:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Single AA battery headlamps
Hi Stuart Lot's of grunt in that package. Neat. Cheers

September 18, 3:34pm

Re: Re: Single AA battery headlamps
Hi Stuart > a few years ago the only solution was to make your own. Mine is similar, but not to 1 W. I found that a good white LED at 20 mA was enough for me around the tent at night. Low be...

September 18, 2:36am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question
> most people I believe, have air conditioning Maybe in parts of America. In the rest of the world - unlikely. No, we don't. It's a lot cheaper without. :-) Cheers

In GEAR » Exped UL7 W versus NeoAir XTherm L
September 17, 3:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Question
I am not sure where you would go to ask that question. For most of us it is sort of self-evident. A high R value under you just means you are not losing heat in that direction. Yes, that does mean ...

September 17, 3:51am

Re: Exped UL7 W versus NeoAir XTherm L
What you find with almost ANY airmat with cross-ways ribs is that the sides are very weak, so the mat seems to be much narrower than it really is. And it is rather easy to partly fall off the sides...

September 16, 7:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm