Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 131 - 140 of 10325 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...1033

Forum » Thread

Re: adding toe loops for gaiters
Simpler solution: Slightly shorter gaiters, with a hook at the front (or whatever) to catch the lace at the bottom end of the tongue. We have been doing it that way for decades. Works fine. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » adding toe loops for gaiters
April 13, 1:35am

Re: Baby carrier and long hair - any ideas?
You think that's bad? Try carrying a baby who has been eating sweets and got their hands sticky! Pure nightmare!!! (The sweets did keep baby happy.) Bob G's suggestion of light cotton m...

In GEAR » Baby carrier and long hair - any ideas?
April 13, 1:32am

Re: Cuben fibre and snow/ice abrasion question
By and large, neither Cuban nor silnylon suffer from abrasion in the snow. Actually, it cam sometimes be difficult to get the d**n stuff to stay anchored under snow! Cheers

In GEAR » Cuben fibre and snow/ice abrasion question
April 13, 1:26am

Re: GRS-3000T?
I chased up about the brand some time ago. There have been mergers and so on, so the company name has been evolving. Happens everywhere it seems. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
April 11, 3:27pm

Re: not the "accepted" BPL wisdom
> most definitely not the "accepted" BPL wisdom I can't agree there. I tink 'BPL wisdom' (real wisdom, not popular mishmash) is 'whatever works, but no lighter than t...

In GEAR » Feet: not dry, but warm
April 11, 3:19pm

Re: Trail runners for wide feet?
Hi Randy We (my wife and I) get the latest NB size 10 width 4E low cut joggers via the NB web site (no try-ons) and wear them. We haven't had a failure yet. But we KNOW what shoe size we ta...

In GEAR » Trail runners for wide feet?
April 10, 12:31am

Hijacking
We would prefer that you do not use someone else's FS thread to try to sell the same bit of gear. You should start your own thread. Cheers Roger Caffin

In Gear Swap » F.S. Western Mountaineering Caribou Sleeping Bag, Regular, Left zip (cancelled)
April 08, 7:59pm

Re: RE: stove on floor?
Hi Dean > your clumsy tent-mate could still kick that one over Chuckle. In my case, that would be my wife. But she gets into the tent first, and by the time I get in and am ready to start co...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Hanging Stove System
April 08, 4:43pm

Re: loose pot support arms
They are NOT aluminium rivets, afaik. They are titanium. Aluminium would be far too soft. I suggest you leave them alone. You are more lkely to do some damage than any good. Have you considered ...

In GEAR » New Stove Gear: Fire Maple 117t and XK6 "HE" Pot
April 08, 3:43pm

Re: Water filter for Utah canyon country (Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa)?
Under those conditions filters are probably about your worst choice. Reason is, if the water does have suspecned stuff in it, there will be a lot more there than you think, and the 0.2 micron hole...

In GEAR » Water filter for Utah canyon country (Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa)?
April 08, 3:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm