Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 131 - 140 of 821 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...83

Forum » Thread

sled for winter backpacking?
I have been using one of these for years. http://www.wildernessengineering.com/BaseCamp.html It is nice to be able to easily bring big loads with it.

In GEAR » Pulk / sled for winter backpacking?
December 18, 11:53am

when?
I did not talk to them at the OR Show (somebody else had that meeting) but did see the pad. Yes it will come in a mummy shape, and I thought they were aiming at Feb, but am not sure.

In GEAR » Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?
December 18, 7:18am

REI Arete
Try the Arete: http://tinyurl.com/ca9926q

In GEAR » Cheap Winter tent
December 18, 7:10am

Maybe when certified
They don't tell what it can filter, or to what size. Looks like a Britta replacement to me.

In GEAR » Soma Eco-Compostable Water Filter on KickStarter
December 11, 10:48am

R value .5?
I don't think it is even that high. From my figures it should add between 0.37 and 0.43 which jives with what Mary wrote.

In GEAR » Flooring foam for more R value?
December 10, 6:05am

which?
Personally, now that I have used the XTherm I may never take the All Season out again. The reason I gave my son the regular size instead of selling it was because he likes snow camping and the X...

In GEAR » NeoAir Xtherm vs. BA IAC...
December 09, 8:39am

re: Help me choose
As a side sleeper too I only use pads that are thick now. I only own one that is less than 2-1/2" now and it is just a loaner. For a single pad that will take you from early spring to late ...

In GEAR » Help me choose an sleeping pad
December 09, 8:24am

Answers
Hey Travis, Yes it has been very warm. In fact this morning when I opened the valve to let the air out with my body weight helping I was surprised at how fast I was getting cold once I touched t...

December 08, 9:07pm

NeoAir Xtherm vs. BA IAC
NeoAir Xtherm I have had three of the BA IAC pads over the years, and took one down to 17 F for two nights in the Sierra. I felt the cold through it. I have the Xtherm (as does my son) and ha...

December 08, 2:09pm

which is better?
Well really YOU spooning with the victim, wrapped in the E-blanket, with the insulation over you both. But take yourself out of the equation if it is another big ugly dude I suppose... ;-) Th...

In GEAR » Question of the Day- which is better?
December 03, 3:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm