BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 131 - 140 of 866 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...87

Forum » Thread

Re: Ground cover for use with Duomid in winter conditions
The issue I had with polycro on snow was that it slid around so much and was hard to get laid out and to keep it in one place - way more so than polyethylene. just a pain to deal with. Tyvek would...

In Winter Hiking » Ground cover for use with Duomid in winter conditions
November 29, 1:03pm

Re: MYOG Freestanding Hooped Bivy
Could you tell us how long the Delrin rod is and how much it weighs?

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Freestanding Hooped Bivy
November 28, 10:42pm

Re: Packaging Food
Samuel - I'd like to second Tom's request for menus and/or weights of food you take. Either you are achieving higher caloric density than I get from my usual foods/packaging, or you're ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Simplifying Expedition Food With Single Serving Sized Packages
November 26, 11:56am

heating vs. cooling
Seems like there is a significant difference in modes of heating and cooling the body, due primarily to the vasoconstriction that the body uses to conserve heat in the core. To wit: if I am hot I c...

In Philosophy & Technique » Getting warm, staying warm, & vice versa
November 25, 9:41pm

Re: Getting warm, staying warm, & vice versa
"Does anyone ever cool off by throwing water on their femorals?" I have had good luck with snow down the shorts. Let's just say all the guys know just how cold it feels when you are...

In Philosophy & Technique » Getting warm, staying warm, & vice versa
November 24, 3:42pm

Re: First MYOG project
Kits or patterns are definitely a good way to start. Thru-hiker also has some nice kits.

In Make Your Own Gear » First MYOG project
November 24, 11:46am

Re: "Is there a Market for a Sub 10 oz Hooped Bivy?"
Kevin - probably possible with the W/B Cuben to get down to that weight, and it is going to be mighty spendy, so the market is probably very small. The W/B cuben that zpacks sells is four times the...

In GEAR » Is there a Market for a Sub 10 oz Hooped Bivy?
November 24, 11:36am

Re: Re: Re: Fuel Energy Density
Jeff - I've carried WG in plastic safely on several trips up to 9 days. I do look for more robust bottles. Those really thin wall water bottles seem to flimsy to me. Before I tried it on a trip...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 1: Basic Framework for Selecting A Cooking Pot and Predicting Fuel Needs
November 24, 9:24am

Re: Re: a few results of my own
Bob - using the smallest sigh bottle I have and then carrying the rest of the fuel in plastic is lighter - my larger bottle weighs more than the small one plus the plastic. On expecting running...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 1: Basic Framework for Selecting A Cooking Pot and Predicting Fuel Needs
November 24, 9:18am

a few results of my own
Some time back I ran some tests of my own that are related to this. I took my 4 qt Open Country pot, filled it with 12 cups of water at 50 degrees starting temp, and at 40 degree air temp, in a gar...

November 23, 11:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.