Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 131 - 140 of 6202 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...621

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Since we're transitioning from silly to serious
" Oh hell yeah. Those evil drug companies created drugs and tried to make a profit. I'm glad others forced them to drop those prices by arbitrarily deciding that there patents were "...

In Chaff » Ebola?
October 30, 8:09pm

Re: Re: How many actually use their down hood?
"Mine gets used." +1 It's there for a very good reason.

In GEAR » How many actually use their down hood?
October 30, 7:51pm

Re: Re: Winter's coming...or, I can't get out as much as I'd like
Take that spare hour or two that you must have somewhere in your busy days, and go out for a good hard power walk, fantasizing about some remote Sierra trail that you long to do, as you go. At lea...

In Philosophy & Technique » Winter's coming...or, I can't get out as much as I'd like
October 30, 7:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Since we're transitioning from silly to serious
"Pretty sure we lead, or at the very least, among the leaders in the world of AIDS relief to Africa." After Indian pharmaceutical companies reverse engineered Big Pharma's AIDS dru...

In Chaff » Ebola?
October 29, 8:21pm

Re: Re: Since we're transitioning from silly to serious
"More than that, we can't start fires in other parts of the world and then watch it burn and not expect it to come back to us in some way." +100 to both your post and Craig's,...

In Chaff » Ebola?
October 29, 6:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Super-Awesome TIP OF THE DAY!!! (warning, thread may be too awesome for some viewers)
"Swasome tip of the day #5: " If your trail head is near a stream, bring a plastic net shopping bag, like they use in Europe, with a couple of beers, and tie it off in the stream in a ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Super-Awesome TIP OF THE DAY!!! (warning, thread may be too awesome for some viewers)
October 28, 4:56pm

Re: Iceland Lake, Emigrant Wilderness
What a neat way to spend a weekend. Shoulder season at its finest, I'd say. Great pictures and company in beautiful surroundings. Well done, folks, and thanks for sharing.

In Post-Trip Reports » Iceland Lake, Emigrant Wilderness
October 27, 8:24pm

Re: Re: The TP issue
"This is like a Chaff thread of yore." Wait a couple of months. When the flaming begins in earnest, whether or not to pack out your used TP will be a moot point because it'll all ...

In Philosophy & Technique » LEAVE NO TRACE
October 27, 8:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The TP issue
"Ian, that's got to boost your curmudgeoninity factor by at least twenty points. Well done." I think Roger C. should at least get honorable mention. ;0)

In Philosophy & Technique » LEAVE NO TRACE
October 27, 5:26pm

Re: Re: Lightweight bear bag for long trips
"If you want something larger than the standard bag, I would contact Joe at Zpacks and see what he could do." +1 He's got quite a selection of Cuben fiber bags for sale, including...

In GEAR » Lightweight bear bag for long trips
October 26, 7:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm