BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 131 - 140 of 6001 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...601

Forum » Thread

Re: SEKI Great Western Divide traverse Sept 2014 planning
"Sept. 15, Day 3. Option 1 Climb Triple Divide Peak, then cross Milestone Pass and ascend Milestone Peak camp in upper Kern" I'm not sure how you plan to get from Triple Divide...

In Pre-Trip Planning » SEKI Great Western Divide traverser Sept 2014 planning
July 12, 2:39pm

Re: Lightweight Hiking + Everyday Shoes - Roclite 315 Replacement
Hi Christoph, Here is a link to a selection of Inov8 shoes that might suit your needs, including a relatively toned down Roclite 315. The link is to the Inov8 website, but if you like one or mo...

In GEAR » Lightweight Hiking + Everyday Shoes - Roclite 315 Replacement
July 12, 2:11pm

Re: Re: Re: How do you stay clean?
"A MRSA or some other nasty infection is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I had that once on my leg." If you've already had MRSA, have you had a culture taken from your nasal ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you stay clean?
July 11, 8:58pm

Re: regarding fishing
"The Lower lake is nice to camp at, but the middle lake has some pretty awesome fish." +1 The fattest, fighting-est trout I have ever caught in the Sierra. Big, too. Tyndall Creek...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pack stations granted monopoly on ressuply services in Sierra
July 10, 5:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: PNW GGG
"I've never been there but Tiger Mountain isn't too far away." Tiger Mtn tends to be a mob scene on weekends, but there are a couple lesser used trails that allow you to avoid ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Anyone up for a Western Washington UL GGG?
July 09, 3:15pm

Re: Re: PNW GGG
"Mt. Si would be a fun day-hike near here." With that potential number of people, it might be well to spread the day hikes out a bit. There is an alternate trail on Si starting at the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Anyone up for a Western Washington UL GGG?
July 09, 2:45pm

Re: Midnight Lake - Muir Wilderness
"Has anyone hiked from Sabrina Lake to Midnight Lake recently? How was it?" Last September. It is a very easy hike thru beautiful country. There are excellent campsites on a bench abo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Midnight Lake - Muir Wilderness
July 08, 5:38pm

Re: Re: Easy to Judge
"That's what has made this such a wonderful community." What you are reading here is also part of what has made BPL such a wonderful community, a peek at the people behind the know...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
July 01, 8:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pure rant
"It's interesting to me that we live in a society where we superficially praise individuality but in reality beat down those who are non-conformists. Don't be like everyone else bu...

In Chaff » Pure rant
July 01, 8:29pm

Re: Re: Mike C!
"He's popped up in the August issue of Backpacker." He'll do better with aliens than lambs quarters, pine cones, and smooth river rocks over there.

In Chaff » Mike C!
July 01, 8:00pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm