Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nathan Hays (oroambulant) - BPL Guest

My Locale San Francisco
About Me Nathan Hays has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nathan Hays

Showing 131 - 140 of 223 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

Useful compares
@ Mike, I do think they are useful price comparisons. I think there are three reasons for buying either Spot or inReach: SOS, HereIam, and coordination/communication. If all you want is SOS, ...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach for iOS!
June 04, 11:41am

Notes and Compares
I opened up the inReach looking for the lead sinker, but didn't find any good reason for the weight. I couldn't get everything separated, but it appears the case is built to be run over by...

June 04, 3:35am

Re: inReach vs SPOT
"InReach? Not so fast there Greg, Have you read this?" 1-way versus 2-way. Different things. Much of this conversation here is about relying on the device in an emergency. 2-way is v...

In GEAR » Any new SPOT input/reviews?
June 02, 6:11pm

Re: Is SPOT the superior choice?
Lots of comments about testing if the Spot is functional. But as far as I know, there is no way to tell if your message made it to the satellite. No way to know if your status or lack thereof has...

In GEAR » Any new SPOT input/reviews?
June 02, 4:17pm

Re: sherpa step
Huh. Looked that up too. Not at all what I had thought it was. Perhaps there is another name. I was talking about a steep uphill 'gait'. The idea is to sorta hop up to the next leg s...

In Philosophy & Technique » Downhill Technique
May 31, 10:46pm

Downhill Technique
After decades of hiking, I still don't like my downhill technique and I haven't figured out a better way. Slow and smooth works for a bit 'til my quads burn. Stomping blows the knees ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Downhill Technique
May 31, 8:18pm

Re: Nesting tent poles
Take a look at some raw carbon fiber tubing: www.rockwestcomposites.com They have nice telescoping sizes. I see 3/8" tubing at 1/3 oz per foot.

In GEAR » Nesting tent poles?
May 31, 5:41pm

Re: DeLorme compare
I can't speak to your beta experience, but there are a lot of reviews of inReach that have it easily outperforming the SPOT for access and reliability. And they really are different beasts. S...

May 31, 1:01pm

DeLorme inReach for iOS!
Suddenly available in time for my BD is inReach for iOS. Was not looking forward to buying an Android just so I could use the inReach. Today and tomorrow is a $50 rebate as well.

May 30, 6:48pm

Voltage drop
The charger circuit from bootstrap is linear, not switched. That means it burns power dropping the voltage to the battery's ~4.2V. I believe it needs 5.5V to work right, not sure. So the vol...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Waterproof Solar Panel System
May 30, 8:48am

All Reader Reviews by Nathan Hays

Nathan Hays has posted no reviews.