November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

obx hiker (obxcola) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Outer Banks of North Carolina
About Me 60: Wide but relatively shallow experience. That's my older daughter and "baby" brother in the photo
at Gragg Prong , Wilson Creek.
CityNags Head
StateNorth Carolina
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by obx hiker

Showing 131 - 140 of 417 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...42

Forum » Thread

Shining Rock Wilderness - Fork Ridge/Green Mountain Trails"
Eli, No water on the Green Mt. Ridge. Nice campsite at Green Mountain. There's a steam when you begin to bend north to go around Mt. Hardy that the trail (MST) crosses @ 1/2 mile before the ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Shining Rock Wilderness - Fork Ridge/Green Mountain Trails
April 18, 9:11pm

Spectacular PNW trip suggestion??
Can you do the Ptsrmigan Traverse as late as September following a big snow season or is there generally just too much melt-off and icing to make that a late August/September option?

In Post-Trip Reports » Spectacular PNW trip suggestion??
April 15, 7:59pm

Cuben: folding vs stuffing; a volume issue
fold then roll: Bags/quilts jacket as well

In GEAR » Cuben: folding vs stuffing; a volume issue
April 15, 7:17pm

Button cell vs headlamp
Good points Warren. How'd we all get around the last 4,000,000 years or so without head-lamps? Still nice to have for detail work or finding something small you dropped etc. They work fine f...

In GEAR » Button cell vs headlamp
April 14, 7:30am

Button cell vs headlamp
I got a couple of the photon freedom micro-lights after reading Anthony Tang's recommendation. Unless you're going to be out for weeks (and don't want to perform a simple battery change...

In GEAR » Button cell vs headlamp
April 13, 7:59pm

Lighter Closed Cell Pad
Any plans to get more of those 1/2" PF pads?

In GEAR » Lighter Closed Cell Pad
April 13, 7:33pm

Lighter Closed Cell Pad
So likely not the same as David Owares sample but the stuff isn't taking on water though it does resemble a sponge; very light. I was surprised at the nature of the material when I first receiv...

April 13, 11:17am

Lighter Closed Cell Pad
I ordered a 1/8 x 24" x 72" from Steve about 6 weeks ago when I realized it's as light or lighter than a polycro groundsheet. Liked it so much I re-ordered a wider piece and might try...

April 12, 7:29pm

Roan Mountain Appalachian Trail Question
Hard to say about the weather. Check the weather channel 10 day forecast for Elk Park, NC; subtract anywhere from 12 to 20 degrees and hope the forecast is in the ball-park. As for "crowds&q...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Roan Mountain Appalachian Trail Question
April 10, 2:32pm

this Bear Cannister thing
Thanks Bob, Appreciate the courtesy and benefit of your experience. Exactly what I look for in this board.

In GEAR » this Bear Cannister thing...
April 09, 7:07pm

All Reader Reviews by obx hiker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
Used the dual chamber for @ 5 years. Don't want to get it too full but that's easy to adjust. Can be a little tricky to get fully de-flated for packing. Persistence! Cover it with your tee-shi...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 30, 8:19pm

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
William Siemens has it right about wind-resistance being a key. This jacket is wonderfully wind resistant. The Northern Outer Banks of NC can be an incredibly cold place due to the combination of wind...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
February 25, 4:32pm