Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 131 - 140 of 823 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...83

Forum » Thread

Funny!
Okay, now we're talking. Usage and grammatical errors are interesting when the confusions they engender are funny. Here's my favorite street-sign error, based on unclear pronoun referenc...

In Chaff » Could "have".... Not " of"
July 27, 5:46pm

Down vs. synth
>a soaking wet syn insulated garment is no fun either So true, but it squeezes out pretty well and still provides some insulation when wet. Still, your points are well taken. However, as y...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » down or synthetic?
July 27, 6:58am

Depends
If there's a chance you'll get rained on, I'd take the synthetic. If you're expecting to get snowed on, the down jacket will be fine. Snow brushes off, and the material of most jack...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » down or synthetic?
July 27, 5:40am

Advice
My old man only ever gave me two pieces of advice: 1. "Always take a handkerchief on a date," 2. And, well, shoot, the other one is unpublishable. My favorite, however, is the pe...

In Chaff » words of wisdom
July 27, 5:06am

Re: Actually, What We REALLY Need in English Are...
>We've got he and him. >We've got she and her. >What we need are subject and object pronouns that cover both gender. He/she and him/her are just too awkward to use. Franco, I ...

July 27, 4:58am

I coulda been a contender . . .
Well, shoot. Opinions are strong here! Let me say first that I mean no disrespect or insult here. Perhaps I am responding to the all-too-many times that people have assumed that because I am an...

July 26, 6:16pm

PM sent
PM sent

In Gear Swap » FS: Nylofume Bags - An OPSack Alternative
July 26, 5:26pm

Good example!
The "bouillon" vs. "bullion" example illustrates exactly when, as a culture, we must sometimes insist on correctness instead of cutting a writer a little slack. They are words w...

July 26, 1:29pm

Descriptive vs. prescriptive grammarians
Right on, Kat. I've been teaching English composition (i.e., writing) on the college level since 1974. On the whole, non-native speakers of English tend to do better because they come with the ...

July 26, 11:00am

Add the pole?
I admit to being a bit nonplussed by your post, Christopher. The addition of the crossing pole makes the Moment self-standing and suitable for a rocky setup as you describe. So why not add the pole...

In GEAR » Tarptent Moment vs Rainbow
July 24, 4:48am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am