BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 131 - 140 of 458 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: What about stoveless??
Tom, Thanks for the reply. I figured there was some protein, but 10 % is pretty good. Well, when all is said and done, I do like a hot beverage on a cold morning, but who knows maybe I'll...

In GEAR » Switching from Canister stove
April 09, 11:54pm

Re: Contrail
Austin, I think what a lot of us like about the Contrail is the varieties of ways to pitch it. So unlike the Seedhouse ( or most other tents ) where what you see is what you get, with the Contra...

In Gear Lists » Tarptent Contrail Vs. Tarptent Rainbow
April 08, 10:55pm

Re: Re: Re: What about stoveless??
Tom, Thanks for the info. I see a lot of fats and starches. Do you add any protein?- Jerky? Protein bars? Or do you get enough with the nuts and seed type items? -Mark

April 06, 8:50pm

Re: What about stoveless??
Sid, Stoveless can work. I think the SuperUL folks do sometimes to get to the SUL weights. Dan points out that rehydrating food is a problem. It will take a lot longer to rehydrate things like ri...

April 05, 10:32pm

Re: Re: Alchy vs Gas
Rick and Sid, Check out this article on Thru-Hiker about fuels vs time on the trail http://thru-hiker.com/articles/stoveweight_vs_time_14days.php There are other articles on thru-hiker.com a...

April 04, 11:18pm

Re: Re: 10 percent rule
Devin, Actually Matt might mean less than 52 oz. Check this gear list for AT yo-yo hiker Brian Doble: http://broble.wordpress.com/the-gear/ Wow! -Mark

In GEAR » The Effectiveness of Stays
April 02, 9:57pm

Re: Re: Best flashlight
After reading Adrian's reply above I dug out my Fenix LOP SE light. I think this came out about the time Fenix was introducing the LOD line. I think the SE version was regulated and had 3 ligh...

In GEAR » Best flashlight
April 02, 5:10pm

No More UL
Nice, Just strap one of these babies on and it will carry up to 200 lb at 7 mph continuously. Ultralight gear will no longer be needed.:-) I can hardly wait until these things hit the civilian ...

In GEAR » Exoskeleton backpacking
April 02, 2:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Caldera Keg
Nia, Yeah, the narrow base of the beer can I think is the main problem. I haven't made a cone for my larger based pot (1.3 L Evernew Ti), but I do have a a Caldera Cone for it (first one I b...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg users.
March 30, 11:27pm

Re: PolarPad
Interesting but heavy. 1.33 sq feet of pad weighing "under 8 oz" which usually means it weighs 7.99oz. I'll call it 8. and a regular 3/4 sleeping pad is about 6.66 sq ft. or 5 tim...

In GEAR » PolarPad
March 30, 10:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm