Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jamie Shortt (jshortt) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Carolina
About Me I grew up in VA exploring and camping the woods around my house. As a teen in the 80's I learned how to backpack by reading books. Back then my pack weight was a respectable 27 lbs and I hit the woods every chance I got. Once adult life took over it was rare to take an overnighter. I faced several challenges during my middle age life and turned to the outdoors to restore me. As my knowledge and skills advanced, my base weight dropped to below 5 lbs. With this came a freedom that I had never experienced before.
CityHolly Springs
StateNC
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.LytW8.com
My PDF Gear ListJamie Shortt 3 Season Gear List - 4lb Base

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jamie Shortt

Showing 131 - 140 of 747 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...75

Forum » Thread

Re: Sleeping Bag Recommendations
Robert, I've used a good number of bags, quilts, and made my own. One of my interests lately has been "value" gear. How to buy outfit folks with good gear and do so with little money....

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Sleeping Bag Recommendations
July 28, 5:03am

Re: MYOG Summer Quilt
Kevin, Nice job with the quilt. It looks like you used buttons to close the footbox. Do I see that correct? Seems like a good alternative to velcro, zipper, and snaps. Do you like how the footbox c...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Summer Quilt
July 24, 1:40pm

re: M50
Tim, My personel experience with M50 has been great. I have made both a quilt and jacket. I have not noticed any issues with the fabric ability to hold down but maybe it is just the amount of use. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » what to make with M50?
July 07, 11:03am

Re: Linville Gorge
Jerry, Thanks for adding the Linville Gorge Forum information. I should have credited them as the source of most of my information. I highly recommend joining the group if you plan to hike the gorg...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Linville Gorge Wilderness Trip Suggestions?
July 07, 10:27am

re: Linville Gorge Wilderness Trip Suggestions?
Nate, Here is a link to a trip report I did for Linville Gorge some time back. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17499/index.html?skip_to_post=133551#133...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Linville Gorge Wilderness Trip Suggestions?
July 06, 8:41pm

Re: Water on Art Loeb in Shining Rock Wilderness
Nate, I just did that section of the Art Loeb last week and did not find water until near the top of cold mountain. I wasn't looking for Brad's source so I missed it. The cold mountain sour...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Water on Art Loeb in Shining Rock Wilderness
June 22, 5:15pm

TrailLite Designs Bandoleer Pack Update
I wanted to post an update to my original review of the TrailLite Designs Bandoleeer Pack. The original review/trip report can be found here. Bandoleer_Pack_Review This second trip with the...

In GEAR » TrailLite Designs Bandoleer Pack Update
June 19, 7:26am

Re: Blue Lyw8 Bivy Pictures
Stephen, The bivy looks great. Thanks for the detailed posting. I'd say reducing the taper a bit was a nice add especially considering that you are using a neoair. How is the fit with such a th...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Bivy
June 19, 5:47am

re: DIY Tarp Shape
Brian, Here is a pic of my MYOG cat tarp. I took it yesterday morning on top of Cold Mountain in Shining Rock Wilderness, NC. It is fairly easy tarp to make. It takes 3 yards of silnylon. B...

In GEAR » DIY Tarp Shape
June 18, 6:24pm

Re: I see...
Peter, As other have stated in a pinch you can sleep in dry rain gear. I have done it, both jacket and pants. I agree I would not consider part of the sleep system for temp, but it is a last layer ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rain gear as part of the sleep system
June 14, 6:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Jamie Shortt

Jamie Shortt has posted no reviews.