Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 131 - 140 of 876 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Does the UL philosophy produce materialistic backpackers?
If the goal is the lightest kit for every trip then yes you will have a lot of different gear. In high school I backpacked most weekends year round plus longer trips over school breaks- winter ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Does the UL philosophy produce materialistic backpackers?
February 25, 7:09pm

Jetboil jet size comparison PCS vs. Sol
Per a previous post in this thread the PCS is stamped with 21. I just pulled my Sol apart to look at the jet. It's .31. Cross sectional area of the .31 jet is 2.2 times that of the .21. O...

In GEAR » Melting Snow with Jetboil
February 25, 6:39pm

Rogers's hypothesis
I think Roger is on the right track. A couple other possibilities: -Pressure regulator failed allowing excess fuel to flow, overheating and melting heat exchanger fins. -Boil over superh...

In GEAR » Orange thingy on JB sol ti
February 25, 8:15am

Jetboil efficiency vs. fear
Of course how much fuel you use depends more on your cooking style than the stove. On solo summer trips I generally heat 0.5 liters of water from 40f/5c to 190f/90c three times a day, plus simmerin...

In GEAR » Most efficient stove/pot combo that doesn't explode
February 25, 8:05am

Shelf Life Re: Mary Jane Farms
I ordered some bulk items from Mary Jane Farms a few years ago. They came in a big zip lock type bag. I don't think they were vacuum sealed. Opened and stored at room temp the food seemed fine ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Vacuum sealing freeze dried meals.
February 24, 9:01pm

Re: JMT... Best spot for zero day.
I guess Dollar Lake is quite a draw. I stopped for a swim, lunch, and a nap too. There are many beautiful spots that could work. Almost every valley or lake is worthy. I had no zero days on my...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT... Best spot for zero day.
February 24, 3:06pm

Re: High Protein Trail Foods
Peanut Butter Play Dough Peanut Butter Powdered Milk Honey Mix to desired taste. Powdered milk is a bit gritty right after mixing but it smoothes out after an hour or so. Ideal consistenc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Protein Trail Foods
February 24, 2:29pm

Re: Adult beverages for Winter Camping
Shivering in a snowstorm late last May I was introduced to Whiskey and maple syrup with hot water. Basically the same as Benjamin Rakestraw's "Dirty Water" from above, but with maple...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Adult beverages for Winter Camping
February 24, 11:53am

Staking to water ice.
A pole-and-fabric construction on ice, not staked down, is called an iceboat. They have been clocked at over 100 mph. Whatever sort of tent you go with it needs to be securely attached if there&#...

In Winter Hiking » self-standing 4 season tent?
February 24, 11:25am

Re: Shelterless on Rainier
My experience with bivys is all in the Sierra or bike touring. Probably about 50 nights total mostly summer. In winter I've had some rather significant wind. One trip about a foot of snow. ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Rainier: Tentless at Camp Muir or Sherman
February 23, 9:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm