Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Lucas Boyer (jhawkwx) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
About Me Having been a backpacker off and on since the early 90's when a trip to Philmont infected me w/ the bug, I have transitioned over to a lighter kit. My first encounter with UL backpacking was some CDT thru-hikers I met in New Mexico. I went home and combed the web, found BPL, and the rest is history. Right now, I'm between jobs, working at a local running shop and have been doing a little freelance writing, hoping to find a voice for a writing career perhaps. Previously, I have obtained a meteorology degree and master's degree in secondary educ.
CityLawrence
StateKS
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://www.hobohiker.wordpress.com
My PDF Gear ListOHT Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lucas Boyer

Showing 131 - 140 of 201 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

re: sock uses
stitch up the holes and use them as sleeping socks. Sew a piece of thin leather or similar durable material on the bottom and use as camp shoes make a camera cozy. make a koozie for your T...

In Make Your Own Gear » Reuse/Recycle Old Wool/Fleece Socks?
November 19, 8:59am

re: new balance
I ran new balance road shoes for a couple of years and have never had complaints w/ their shoes. In fact, I've been investigating their "retro" shoe the 574 as a potential hiker. In J...

In GEAR » Help with Trail Runners
November 19, 8:51am

re: bruised feet
I think the bruised feet is highly subjective like the rest of the shoe discussion. However, spending a lot of time on your feet running, walking, and hiking can mitigate the problems when you hit ...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
November 19, 8:43am

re: trailrunner
Chad, have you looked at the Brooks Cascadia or Nike Pegasus Trail(??). I have not tried these yet, but their road shoes have pretty roomy toeboxes and I believe that the trail models are on the sa...

In GEAR » Help with Trail Runners
November 19, 8:25am

nice pack!
Nate, nice looking pack. The orange shove it and the black gridstop make a sharp looking combo. Your shove it woes might be solved by integrating a draw cord into the seam of the top of your shove ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Backpack: A synthesis of designs
November 19, 8:00am

re; masochist
Can't speak for the streak. But the Masochist is no way what I would call a bulky shoe. They are a no frills trail runner. Lots of breathability, gusseted tongue, light wrap on the toe of a rei...

November 18, 2:00pm

re: pics
Nice. I know I shouldn't be lusting over these. My Ohm is already jealous. Thom, what are your plans for the 2 packs. One for groomed trails/SUL. The other for bushwacking/UL. OR, are you ju...

In GEAR » 2010 MLD Prophet(s)
November 18, 1:48pm

try mountain masochist
I'm not sure why no one has mentioned the Mountain Masochist from Montrail here. It's marketed as a runner, has the aforementioned plate, and fits the light designation. I just returned fro...

November 18, 11:10am

oops
Thanks for keeping me honest Tom. In my rush to point out density of stores, I miscalculated the breadth of Southern MO. I should say far Northern MO is outside of an hour too. I guess we could say...

In GEAR » The outdoor industry and the recession.
November 17, 8:52am

Re: kephart
Fritz mentions reading Kephart. The book is available online. I browsed some of the chapters. Kephart put these writings together in the early 1900's. The packs that he mentions weigh 2.25 to 2...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cottage manufacturers - interviewed
November 17, 8:48am

All Reader Reviews by Lucas Boyer

Lucas Boyer has posted no reviews.