BPL Community Profile

John Carter (jcarter1) - BPL Guest

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me John Carter has not added a biography yet.
CityPortland
StateOR
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Carter

Showing 131 - 140 of 471 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...48

Forum » Thread

New Tarptents. It's official!
This is interesting. While I admire the new design, I am intrigued that the weight of the scarp 2 with optional poles is within half an ounce of my GoLite Hex 3 with inner nest: Scarp 2 + mesh i...

In GEAR » New Tarptents. It's official !
March 09, 4:17pm

re: Camera Case
For my Lumix LX2, I use the hipbelt pouch on my SMD Essence. Fits real well and is very accessible. Since it's a fabric pouch, it is protected from blowing dust. I also store my balaclava in th...

In Photography » Camera Case
March 07, 10:05pm

What do you use for navigation?
Suunto GPS Plotter Compass. Has a UTM scale for my Garmin eTrex H. Also, the scale makes nice arrows which make it easier to sight the bearing, and the global needle allows me to tilt the compass u...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you use for navigation?
March 01, 5:11pm

re: Can you guess?
Hmm...the only place with mountains like that, that is that barren and with smog, would be So. Cal. But for having lived there 23 years, I can't place the exact location. It could be Anza Borre...

In Photo Gallery » Can you guess?
February 26, 12:06am

11"x17" printer for $220
Thought I'd pass along a great price on a large-format printer, ideal for printing topo maps using National Geographic's 11"x17" waterproof paper: http://www.officedepot.com/ca...

In Gear Deals » 11"x17" printer for $220
February 25, 1:20am

re: WTB: Hex or Shangri-La 3 Floor
post deleted.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Hex or Shangri-La 3 Floor
February 24, 3:11pm

Re: Re: Sublite in heavy rain
Very cool, thanks for the response! I like the velcro/hook idea; that way the ground cloth could be kept up against the apex.

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarptent Sublite Tent Review
February 23, 5:25pm

Garmin eTrex H vs Geko 201: nearly same weight!
I've been testing both the eTrex H and the eTrex Vista HCx this weekend, and was surprised by the weight discrepancy. Garmin's website leads you to believe there is only a 0.2 oz difference...

In GEAR » brief survey of USGS Topo mapping GPS units
February 23, 12:41pm

TT Rainbow tricks
Lynn, You forgot the oder-cloaking capabilities of the dream tent, which would allow one to cook in a tent in bear country.

In GEAR » TT Rainbow tricks
February 23, 12:16pm

brief survey of USGS Topo mapping GPS units
Lance, It's nice to see Blackberry devices gaining this capability. I have been a big fan of PDA-phone GPS's for the past 6 years, and have been rather disdainful of the outdoor GPS manu...

In GEAR » brief survey of USGS Topo mapping GPS units
February 23, 12:13pm

All Reader Reviews by John Carter

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Shires Tarptent Rainbow
I've never purchased an item where my initial thoughts were so negative, but my final thoughts so positive. I have truly come 180 deg. on this tent! Initial thoughts: too heavy for solo use, la...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
January 21, 2:11am

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I give the Caldera Cone a 5 for it's simplicity and wind resistance. It provides the best compromise between lighter weight but wind-prone alcohol systems and heavier but more wind resistant canis...

In Stoves - Alcohol
April 01, 2:00am

Pro Lite Gear customer service
I wholeheartedly agree with the above posts. The ProLite Gear team was extremely helpful both before my order and after a return. When I ordered two Integral Designs eVENT Thru Hiker Jackets during...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 09, 8:34pm