BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 131 - 140 of 1781 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...179

Forum » Thread

HE pot
Yeah, it's been done. I made about twenty of the little 1 liter ones with various indents in the bottom, finally settling on a radial 5 ridge format. This was about 15%-17% more effective at ga...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
December 24, 8:43pm

Re: Best way to setup 8x10 tarp
Yeah, I agree that it appears to be incorrectly done from the get-go. Ridgeline This is always a problem. Tension is the key as others have said. On A-Frame pitches ("Pup" tent pitche...

In GEAR » Best way to setup 8x10 tarp
December 19, 5:33am

What the heck is a Jetboil?
Max, JetBoil's are stoves. (Now that I got that dumbness out of my system...) All the previos posts were pretty good pros/cons for the JB. They are fairly heavy. I borrowed a couple from...

In GEAR » What the heck is a Jetboil?
December 18, 8:15am

Debunking Hydrostatic Head
Like so many things, HH is simply one measument in a large variety of tests. With very fine weaves, very fine fibers, the actual surface tension of the water becomes very important. Some of the ...

In GEAR » Debunking Hydrostatic Head
December 15, 9:13am

Re: New Tarp from GG
Yeah, pretty much agree on the cat cut tarp. Cuben stretches very little, so you really need a lot less catenary curves to compensate; more to do with how it is set up and tensioned. In all the var...

In GEAR » New Tarp from Gossamer Gear
December 14, 9:11am

Re: 'jump to first unread' missing?
Yeah, it USED to work like that with Internet Explorer. It still does with Firefox or Chrome. But, I need the IE for work. About two weeks ago it started looping in the script that was supposed ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » 'jump to first unread' missing?
December 12, 5:53am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scorched Titanium?
Yeah, Roger answered the problem directly. Snowmelt has all sorts of dust, pollen, spores, etc in it. Even the mineral deposits left by differing waters can leave strange tasts if overheated. Mo...

In GEAR » Scorched Titanium?
December 09, 6:04pm

Re: Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
Using pure propane was discussed sometime back. For toppers, there is likely little difference, except they will require a bit less valve setting; roughly equivalent to an 80F day using butane. For...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
December 07, 8:00pm

Re: Reduced steam is good
It really doesn't matter what the oil is. You can use butter, for cocoa/tea. It's good in either. Parified butter is just the butter fat, without the liquids/salt. But I think I would rathe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Cooking Efficiency: Leave the lid at home, bring oil
December 05, 8:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 2: Considering Fuel Needs for Cold Temperatures
"I believe it's slow because the gasses inside boil at differing rates and butane has a hard time below about 32F/0C. When using a propane/iso blend the propane acts as a propellent and he...

December 05, 6:23am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am