Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks. No longer a GG Trail Ambassador.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 131 - 140 of 2203 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...221

Forum » Thread

Re: Prepare yourself
I agree with Eric. I often cook stews (thickened soups, really) that burned easily in a Ti pot (1.4L, I switched back to aluminum and it didn't happen.) Ti does not distribute heat well enough ...

In GEAR » Evernew 1.3 Titanium Pot – ok for light cooking?
May 07, 6:19am

Re: Re: Buckwheat
Thanks, Sarah!

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » rice noodles
May 06, 6:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Layering for Beginners
If it was already mixed with the poly stuff, then it should be OK. Most of the manufacturing is of the polyethylene terephthalate or PET fibers. It is a thermoset variety of polyester. It is highly...

In Editor's Roundtable » Layering for Beginners
May 06, 10:46am

Re: Layering for Beginners
Dave, I use my base layer or next to skin layer, in summer, too. I second the idea of getting both merino and poly. Poly does NOT accept permethrin. It washes right out. Merino does. It kills most ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Layering for Beginners
May 06, 5:34am

Re: Flash Reviews No. 6
Thanks, Jonathan.

In Editor's Roundtable » Flash Reviews No. 6
May 06, 3:59am

Re: I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
I am always looking for small volume, high loft down jackets. I just got a new Icarus with 4.5oz of 800 DWR treated down. It weighs a bit at 12oz, but handles down to about 32F with no problem. The...

In GEAR » I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
May 06, 3:52am

Re: Re: Relax-A-Fire Firestarters Lightweight, Quick, and Safe
Yup. Too heavy compared to birch bark, et al.

In Gear Deals » Relax-A-Fire Firestarters Lightweight, Quick, and Safe
May 05, 5:30pm

Re: Is it possible to paint or dye my nylon sun hat?
Nylon dyes pretty well. But the dye color is not usually correct. For example, using RIT black dyes will yield a dark purple. Mixing with some sort of mildly acidic stuff, like a tablespoon or two ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Is it possible to paint or dye my nylon sun hat?
May 05, 5:25am

Re: Re: Someone's obsession with fiber....
Hi Sarah. I never heard of buckwheat noodles. How do you cook these? Typically, I am an omnivore. But like the various "rustic" or strong flavored foods. Browned mashed potato & c...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » rice noodles
May 05, 4:53am

Re: IN your Head!
Yeah, once you get beyond the openings, it gets too hard to think AND remember where the pieces were, ha ha...

In GEAR » Chess in the Backcountry
May 04, 12:03pm

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Steripen Adventurer Opti
They finally revamped the old Adventurer with the Opti. 1) Improved battery life - The old unit went through batteries at about 25-30L per set. This was primarily because of leaving the batteries ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 16, 5:29am

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am