BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 131 - 140 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

Re: 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove
Excellent work Timo! Nice and simple and storing it around the pot is slick too. What did you use to cut the metal?

In Make Your Own Gear » 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove
December 26, 2:42am

"Storing long handled spoons?"
If I'm eating commercial freeze-dried or home prepared freezer bag meals then I take my long handled spoon and it goes in my food bag. If I'm eating soup, ramen noodles or cous cous straigh...

In GEAR » Storing long handled spoons?
December 24, 3:02pm

Zen and Best Practices for Cool Damp Weather Dressing
"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves o...

In GEAR » Best Practices for Cool Damp Weather Dressing
December 24, 6:19am

Re: name
another vote for AK4K

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What's in a name? Alaska 2010 finalists
December 17, 2:41am

Re: Re: Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor Watches...
I've had a Suunto watch for a year and now realise that although I don't NEED an ABC watch it is nice to have, more for interest rather than crucial information. Like Roger I have used t...

In GEAR » Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor Watches...
December 15, 5:53am

Re: nike dri fit
I use the Dri Fit shorts most of the time, for hiking and running. They're light, dry quick and the slightly shiny finish means they don't bind under other layers. I would prefer to wear me...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Nike Dri-FIT as a Baselayer
December 03, 2:12am

Re: Pinnacle
I'll be using my Pinnacle this winter. I think it's perfect for winter loads where you need to carry plenty of bulky insulation. True, you'd be hard pressed to squeeze a dSLR in ther...

In GEAR » Winter Backpack Recommendations
November 21, 9:32am

Re: Winter backpack
I think the Pinnacle is made of tougher material as well Hendrik, useful when carrying things like snowshoes and crampons.

In GEAR » Winter Backpack Recommendations
November 21, 8:06am

Re: "Waist pack"...
Still slightly off topic (sorry Hendrik!) Another option for a 'belly' pack would be the Trio a 4 litre chest pouch from OMM that will retro fit to many packs. I use one for skiing.

In GEAR » Sleeping system & clothing in winter
November 20, 11:08am

Re: Inov8 product differences?
I think Inov8 are revamping their range and product information for next year. I remember reading this post on PTC*'s blog about it. http://www.petesy.co.uk/?p=2830

In GEAR » Inov8 product differences?
November 19, 10:47am

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am