BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 131 - 140 of 1212 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...122

Forum » Thread

Connected...
As long as it's out of sight, out of earshot, and therefore out of mind, I'm willing to cut someone slack realizing if they are looking for a signal they aren't hiking. Another limitat...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Connected on the trail
July 17, 11:35am

Re: Unbound Routes - AT thru
Great posts and photos ..., keep us updated.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Unbound Routes - AT thru
July 17, 11:23am

Learn to enjoy...
I'm usually out there to hike and camping only meant I need not hurry to return to civilization with a daypack. That said, camping requires a lot of skills and I'm thinking now,that wildfi...

In Philosophy & Technique » People who don't enjoy camping
July 17, 11:15am

Re: Re: What shelter am I looking for?
Yep, I knew it'd come down to these two unless I want to do the whole myog thing. It may come down to material (sil vs. cuben) and whether this shelter would need to stand up to cold/snow. The...

In GEAR » What shelter am I looking for?
July 17, 9:11am

Re: Connected on the trail
It is a more connected world and there's nothing to be done about it, ... except maybe camp in a valley with no reception while sharing ridge-line photos with the world once there's recepti...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Connected on the trail
July 17, 8:57am

Re: Broken leg, 6 days alone and rescued
Soloing cross-country will always be more risky than a trail in the middle if tourist season (summer). That said, I know of a few acquaintances who might have made that climb more risky ("hey...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Broken leg, 6 days alone and rescued
July 17, 8:40am

Avoiding the drought at Pt Reyes
Image shows clouds dipping into the Pacific momentarily ... - bring yer moisture-resistant stuff folks. Sure is pretty but can you hike it? .... to paraphrase the movie "the Dirty Dozen"....

In Post-Trip Reports » Avoiding the drought at Pt Reyes
July 14, 8:58am

Re: sleeping, in the woods?
Sleeping in the city or town isn't a picnic either. Had my share of loud, rude people with kids or pets inside decent medium priced hotels or even hostels. Schizoids in the hallway reading b...

In Philosophy & Technique » People who don't enjoy camping
July 14, 8:41am

What shelter am I looking for?
Been on the trail (couple backpack trips) for awhile and trying Outdoor Research bug bivy/S2S poncho tarp ... and just plain WP/B bivy combos (had a couple other smaller shops wares but returned un...

In GEAR » What shelter am I looking for?
July 12, 12:24pm

Re: Re: How One High Sierra Trip Turned Into Permanent Nomadic Travel
Great story and would love to do something like this May thru Sept, maybe October in a normal ,non-drought year .... but begs the question about reintegrating back into the wonderful world of work ...

In Editor's Roundtable » How One High Sierra Trip Turned Into Permanent Nomadic Travel
July 12, 12:19pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.