BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 131 - 140 of 1154 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...116

Forum » Thread

Re: Marin County 100 mile loop, April 6-13, 2014
Thanks for your detailed itinerary Rex. It will definitely help as well as your descriptions on the crowds.

In Post-Trip Reports » Marin County 100 mile loop, April 6-13, 2014
May 04, 8:17pm

updated burn vs non-burn Re: Fire on the mountain, run boys, run!
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=90757&skip_to_post=772453#772453

In Post-Trip Reports » Fire on the mountain, run boys, run!
May 03, 8:46pm

Time off
First real summer off since 2007, .. stoked.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Getting Stoked
May 02, 5:03pm

Bedrolls in the Southwest
When I was a kid in the desert southwest, the Y would have us sleep in bedrolls for desert camping with the corners of sheets and blankets pinned. If snakes were a problem, doubt they would have l...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
May 01, 7:29pm

SOLD
Yeah, I'm a little over 6' but it's almost short on me. SOLD

In Gear Swap » Montbell tachyon (L - black)
May 01, 6:23pm

Re: Really want this
It's tight on me at a chest size 44, though I'm fitting in westcomb and patagonia L at the same time. I'd say between a large and medium. Weight is about 3 oz (forget if I had the stu...

May 01, 6:16pm

Montbell tachyon (L - black) SOLD
Montbell tachyon windshirt zip L (kind of a slender large as it is tighter than a current Pata or west comb L and tighter than a chest size 44) black w/twinge of blue (old color) with sleeve pocket...

May 01, 6:05pm

No snow to mo' snow gear
Looking at some late Spring mountain threads, just curious as to what UL-lightweight gear many bring if starting out in "no snow" conditions but may likely need to keep going into deep sn...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » No snow to mo' snow gear
May 01, 4:22pm

Re: simple menus
I've been out for a week with the same food. Got real old towards the end. Add: to the point of repugnant...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Packing JUST a giant bag of granola (with nuts, raisins, etc)...
April 30, 10:08pm

Re: The long fleece beanie
I had one (REI store brand)used for sleep, rolled up, or rolled down over the ears - very versatile. Eventually it's been so burned by campfire (always get the pyromaniacs when I go out in a g...

In GEAR » The long fleece beanie
April 30, 4:04pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.