Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 131 - 140 of 392 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" -Gimli In all seriousness, here's a must-read article on the origins of the occupy movement. htt...

In Chaff » Editorial on Occupy Wall Street
November 22, 4:04pm

Cap 4
I tend to use a thin merino base layer in the winter, but found that a Patagonia Cap 4 layer makes a really lightweight mid layer.

In GEAR » Can't figure out this Capilene thing...
November 21, 7:55pm

Closing the Loop
Thank you all for a ton of great suggestions. Unless something jumps up and bites me in the nose, I think I'll go with MEC Reflex. I'll be winter backpacking, not climbing so it should be...

In GEAR » Nunatak Kobuk Jacket and its Ilk
November 06, 6:13am

MEC Reflex/FA XV
The specs and price on the MEC Reflex look incredible, if the 14.8 ounces of down fill weight are to be believed. And at less than $300 it appears to be a bargain (compared to the same amount of f...

November 05, 5:00pm

Down Fill Weight
Some of the companies don't make it easy to ascertain fill weight. Anyone have any charts from previous shopping comparisons? Anyone have any experience with the FF Frontpoint Jacket?

November 05, 3:43pm

FA
The First Ascent seems quite heavy. I feel like FF and Nunatak use much lighter shell material.

November 05, 10:52am

MEC
David, The MEC looks great. At what temps are you just right in it? Too cold? Too hot? Let's assume normal winter wool baselayer or mid, based on what you use. Evan

November 05, 10:08am

Nunatak Kobuk Jacket and its Ilk
I have a question for those of you prepared for the cold of mid-winter. I'm considering getting the Nunatak Kobuk jacket but it is quite pricey and I was curious what other options are out the...

November 05, 7:43am

The Quest Continues
For me, I love the ever evolving art of both gear and the changing beauty of personal motion and endurance over distance in the great outdoors. I'm glad the quest for gear always continues.

In Philosophy & Technique » When is it just a fetish?
November 05, 7:40am

RBH
I purchased the VaprTherm NTS Shirt last year and was very satisfied with it last winter, but I didn't experience temps all that extreme, thanks to a relatively mild winter. It could be worth ...

In GEAR » VBL clothing options
November 02, 6:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm