Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Erik Danielsen (er1kksen) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale The Western Door
About Me Living and working between adventures. So far those have included the Andes, the Adirondacks, the nooks and crannies of WNY, and being a not-quite-UL wanderer all over the east coast.
CityFredonia
StateNY
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListOld Disorganized Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erik Danielsen

Showing 131 - 140 of 172 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Forum » Thread

Re: ridgerest sheet mod
I do something similar to that with my CCF pads (they're cheap enough to do one custom for each pack I have) but rather than sewing a pocketed sheet for them, a bit of duct tape applied sensibl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Foam Pad Mods
October 24, 8:58pm

Re: RE: SA
On my trip (december/january), in the mountains temperatures were never over 90 or so. Usually between 85 and 60, most likely. In coastal peru and ecuador it probably got up above 100, and the cold...

In Philosophy & Technique » Where would you go this winter (anywhere in the world)?
October 24, 8:55pm

Re: cheapest in the Andes
When I was there this past december-february, Bolivia was by far the cheapest but peru wasn't too far behind. Ecuador next, then Colombia. My comparison points were usually lodging prices, food...

In Philosophy & Technique » Where would you go this winter (anywhere in the world)?
October 24, 7:39pm

Re: get the feeling that it has been decided its very difficult to match down, therefore no one is trying very hard, just tinkering with polyester wadding
Maybe a helium-rich environment rather than a vacuum? I can see it now: Hollow-core fibers that neutralize their own weight as well as provides superior insulation thanks to being filled with a ...

In GEAR » Synthetics should have caught or surpassed down by now!! Try harder
October 23, 7:34am

Dunno
I'm not sure where you could find an equivalent, but you might want to note that they're not CCF: they're made of open-cell foam and will soak up water (I used one for a while). They...

In GEAR » Eggcate CCF, what happened to the walmart cheapos?
October 22, 9:14pm

Re: RE:
I'm not familiar with "banged up abroad" but Colombia's become quite a lot safer in the last decade, especially for travelers. I honestly felt safer in Colombia, generally, than i...

October 22, 1:51pm

It's my favorite pack :D
I've mentioned it a few times here. While I really like the features and design, the most important aspect to me is that the harness fits me absolutely perfectly. I also cut a CCF pad into sect...

In GEAR » wmt $30, 30L, 30oz pack
October 22, 6:42am

Re: Re: Re: Hmm
Your "yup" intrigues me. Are you aware of any actual examples of higher-grade synthetic insulation being produced, perhaps as an experiment or proof-of-concept, that were simply too expen...

October 21, 8:27pm

Re: five fingers
Fortunately, it only feels awkward for a little while. After doing a fair bit of barefoot training (started with just walking the dog, worked up to running and hiking) you develop a really natural-...

In GEAR » Sandals and such...
October 21, 8:24pm

Re: Hmm
I suspect it's possible to do it in the lab, but even so it would probably be prohibitively expensive to do in quantity. With all this new work being done on finding various applications for...

October 21, 1:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Erik Danielsen

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

five ten camp four
I have owned and loved a pair of these and worn them until their current state of having gaping holes in the sides. Observations: great fit, decent support and cushioning (never any sore feet) and...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 10, 7:29am