BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 131 - 140 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

kindergarten
Here is the original from Fulghum: [Begin quote] ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN (a guide for Global Leadership) All I really need to know about how to live and what...

In Philosophy & Technique » Off-Trail Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy
December 06, 2:27pm

on snow peak site...
If you go to this url: http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cookware/titanium.html and scroll down, you will see it, I think. (Your linked photo is pretty small.) REI doesn't list it anymore, s...

In GEAR » Where can I find an oval snow peak cook set
December 01, 8:42am

slight inclines
If the best spot we find is still slightly inclined, first I make sure my husband is positioned below me because he is an active, and sound, sleeper and won't awake to fix his position if he sl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » site selection
November 26, 11:58am

Vasque Blur or Velocity
I work part time at REI and we are supposed to occasionally try on the different shoes so we'll know more about how they feel, to advise customers. I don't get around to doing this very of...

In GEAR » Women's Trail Runners
October 27, 10:34pm

different restrictions
Mainly, you really have to check with the authorities at your particular destination at the time of your trip. A couple of examples: At Mt. Rainier National Park this summer for our Wonderl...

In GEAR » wood burning stove restrictions
October 19, 10:56am

We are learning
Another good excuse to get out more--we need to practice! I appreciate all the suggestions. You are right the Solio and the binoculars were superfluous. And we still had the Amigo Pro from the...

In Gear Lists » Wonderland Trail August 09
October 09, 10:26pm

heavy packs
Glad you liked it! I, too, am still working on that "heavy pack" thing, even after all I've learned on BPL!

In Post-Trip Reports » Wonderland Trail 8/3-8/12, 2009
September 29, 12:55pm

Wonderland Trail August 09
Wonderland 09 Gear List The URL is to my PDF gear list on my profile. It is still too heavy. We were OK but with all the ups and downs a lighter kit would have been nice. Still learning. ...

In Gear Lists » Wonderland Trail August 09
September 28, 9:20pm

test spreadsheet
didn't work

In User Test Forum » test spreadsheet
September 28, 8:40pm

Tardy but posted at last
I have finally written up a trip report for our August trip around the Wonderland. The road to Mowich Lake was just fine. We had a wonderful time. I have put the full trip report up in the Trip ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wonderland Trail
September 28, 4:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.