BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 131 - 140 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Innovation I'm waiting for
Gear I'd like to see... (1) Trekking poles with replacable grips. Ideally there would be nordic, traditional, and self-arrest grips available. (2) Refillable canister fuel. Ideally, I'd lik...

In GEAR » Innovation I'm waiting for
February 01, 4:18pm

Re: A Hierarchy of Needs
I actually think a lot more is going on here. It isn't just poor immigrants on their way up that are eschewing wilderness and wildness. It is also rich and educated immigrants too. As for me...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wilderness De-Engagement: Soul Decay in the Outdoor Industry
January 31, 12:09pm

Re: Wilderness De-Engagement: Soul Decay in the Outdoor Industry
There are two problems here. One problem is that people who engage in human-powered outdoor activities are a tiny market, and one that doesn't seem to be growing at all. This in spite of the fa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wilderness De-Engagement: Soul Decay in the Outdoor Industry
January 30, 9:18pm

Re: Re: Nalgene Cantene for Food Storage?
Rodent proof? Rodents will easily chew through a Nalgene Cantene, and probably any Nalgene Jar (the lids would be the easiest part to get through). I'm a big fan of ziploc bags myself. Rodent ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Nalgene Cantene for Food Storage?
January 30, 8:43pm

Re: how should mitts fit?
Mittens should be pretty loose but not grossly so. One big reason is that it is hard to put on or take off tight mittens with cold fingers anyway. You might want to try a different brand, bec...

In Philosophy & Technique » how should mitts fit?
January 30, 1:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sleeping with bears
I've lived in Washington my entire life, and I've never heard someone from here call then "brown bears". The whole grizz in the Cascades thing is very confused. Several biologists from the U....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » sleeping with bears
January 23, 7:32pm

Re: hammer/mallet for tent stakes
I just do without. And I have an xtremely strong bias for sites with softer ground, if only because it is better sleeping. If I can't get stakes into the ground and another site isn't an option...

In GEAR » hammer/mallet for tent stakes
January 19, 10:42am

Black Bears and Brown (was sleeping with bears)
Hair color isn't the distinguishing factor at all. Bears in the Sierra are often blond (a friend of mine described them as surfer dude bears, which is a great image). "Black" bears can range in...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » sleeping with bears
January 19, 9:33am

Re: Tarp Guylines
I just pitch with a simple A-frame 99 percent of the time. In my experience, it is best to have longer guylines on the "front" part of the A-frame than the "tail". Usually about 1.5 times as lo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp Guylines
January 14, 3:42pm

Re: tarp tips
Practice! Every chance you get, try to pitch your tarp. In the park, in your yard. Try to pitch it in a different place and a different way every day. When you start getting bored with this...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp tips
January 13, 8:15pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am