BPL Community Profile

Matt Lutz (citystuckhiker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Hiker-turned-ultramarathon runner. Sorry backpack, I've neglected you.
CityMankato
StateMinnesota
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://crazyrunnerguy.blogspot.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter 2011-12

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matt Lutz

Showing 131 - 140 of 805 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...81

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
@Ben Wood: I use the same piece of advice in my ultrarunning. It's modified slightly, like getting to the finish is optional, but racing another day is mandatory. It prevents me from running my...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
January 02, 4:24pm

Re: Re: Two quilts to cover all temps?
A couple more thoughts: Skurka used a combination of a down quilt and bag on his Icebox '07 trek. He used a JRB two-person prototype and a GoLite 20 degree. I believe he said that he used that ...

In GEAR » Two quilts to cover all temps?
January 02, 4:09pm

Re: Two quilts to cover all temps?
Right now I have three bags, two first of which were purchased to meet your criteria. First, I have a Marmot Hydrogen (2007 model, 1/2 zip). This is 30 degree bag that is accurate to its rating...

In GEAR » Two quilts to cover all temps?
January 02, 3:20pm

Re: Tent vs. Shelter
Another loyal TarpTent DoubleRainbow user here. It's my go-to shelter for two people when there is no snow on the ground.

In GEAR » Tent vs. Shelter
January 02, 2:34pm

Re: Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
I read Beyond Backpacking. And it was down hill from there.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Single best piece of advice ever given? What's yours?
January 02, 7:04am

Re: Re: also @Matt Lutz: 2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
I've gone through two coatings of their silicone spray. I called the folks in Ely about the issue, and they really didn't have an answer. I suggested Sno-Seal, and they said that sounded OK...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 31, 4:51pm

Re: 2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
No particular order, and a bonus entry from Jacci. Arctic mukluks by Steger Mukluks: My feet were warm and dry in a myriad of conditions with these muks on. For the UL hiker, they're 20 oz p...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 30, 8:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Gear List for Review
I kinda figured that about your Gerber. I love the DR. It is my go-to shelter for all times here in MN when I'm with another person and there is no snow on the ground. The real trick, like a...

In Gear Lists » Gear List for Review
December 26, 8:19am

Re: Gear List for Review
You've got all the basis, so here's my comments: 1. The knife. I take it that its a multi tool. Here's a question - when was the last time you used the featured on it besides the kni...

In Gear Lists » Gear List for Review
December 25, 6:01pm

Re: Thank you...
On the tarp: I take it you choose the flat tarp instead of a curved because you could put the edges to the ground? I have an ID MK1 and I'm thinking about using an Oware CatTarp 2 very similar ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Denali Light: The 2009 Attempt
December 25, 5:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Matt Lutz

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Scree (softshell pants)
There is so much to love about these pants, but the little details kill any possibility of a 5 rating. So 4 it is. The good: The pants are made of Marmot's proprietary M3 fabric, which is a ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
October 20, 9:50am

Zpacks Z1
I bought my Z1 from a BPL forum member. It had a webbing waist belt and a removable sternum strap. I have since removed the waistbelt (via scissors) and removed the sternum strap, which was attached t...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 03, 10:22am

Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
I have a 2008 MB Inner down Parka, and I wish I would have waited until the 2009 models were released before hitting "submit order." I have a size small, which weighs in at 7.2 oz. The ja...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 03, 9:24am

Black Diamond Windweight (formerly Jetstream)
I have owned two pairs of BD wind-proof liner gloves - an older pair of Jetstreams and the new model, their Windweights. Both used Polartec Windbloc fabric. These gloves are excellent next-to-skin...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 9:15am

Black Diamond Powerstretch (now Midweights)
These are my go-to liner gloves for all seasons. In three-season wear, they are are breathable and not too warm when the temperature dips. In cold and wet weather, I use them under a pair of MLD eVent...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 8:50am