Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Harrison Carpenter (carpenh) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale St. Vrain River Valley
About Me They call me Carp-Dawg, Dr. C, The Rodent Whisperer, and/or Rat Man-- depending upon who they are and what they see me doing.
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-day, 3-season, Solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 131 - 140 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Water treatment thoughts
I'm going back and forth these days between relying upon my Steripen (the Adventurer Opti model) and AquaMira. Pardon me while I share my thoughts, in writing, with you all. (I write for a livi...

In GEAR » Water treatment thoughts
September 03, 10:09am

Re:
"This event is in Yosemite, not Yellowstone." Thanks for correcting me. There's only so much I can accuse autocorrect of. It seems plausible that the cabins would make it easie...

In Chaff » Hanta Virus in Yosemite
September 02, 4:56pm

Hantavirus
It's bad to see any news of a disease outbreak; and hantavirus is very serious. There is always somebody who gets it-- it's an inevitable part of frequenting areas where rodents live. It al...

In Chaff » Hanta Virus in Yosemite
September 02, 8:07am

Situational, at best
I've used an UrSack lined with an Opsack full of food in Ziploc freezer bags, and haven't had an encounter... yet. But I think it's important to think about just where you're hiking...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Opsack instead of hanging food
August 29, 7:07am

Urethane v. Silicone?
I'm no chemist, so forgive me for asking this... but could it have something to do with using a urethane sealant (like Seam Seal 3) instead of a silicone sealant (like Sil Net)? OK, scratch ...

In GEAR » SMD Skyscape Scout leaking
August 26, 8:04pm

Trends take time
Yep, it's easy (and cheap) to pick up a 70L pack, 5 lb tent, 3 lb bag, etc. etc. etc. Been there, done that. Over time my gear changed as it wore out, or when I got a little extra money and dec...

In GEAR » Where are the lightweight backpackers? Not on the JMT...
August 20, 9:17am

Re:
Thanks, Bob. I've always operated under much the same principles, but the more I read about backcountry water the more confused I get. In my pre-UL days, I carried a PUR filter/purifier. I&...

In Philosophy & Technique » Drinking out of lakes vs snow melt/running water
August 19, 6:10pm

So which is which?
Pardon what must sound like a fantastically stupid question, but I have to ask: so, is it more important/advisable to filter, or to treat, or must one do both?

In Philosophy & Technique » Drinking out of lakes vs snow melt/running water
August 19, 3:44pm

CO stuff
+1 on RMNP. There are numerous places to hike to if you're looking for good campsites/fishing. Working out of the Western side of the park, and/or the Wild Basin area, would help you avoid the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Noob Trip Ideas
August 18, 10:27am

Powdered coconut milk? Sure.
Yeah, I've used that stuff for years-- awesome curries, but also dee-lish rice pudding!

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Powdered coconut milk and thai/indian dishes
August 17, 5:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent Notch
This is more of an initial test report. After sealing my Notch's seams, and doing several test-pitches in my backyard, I took it out into Colorado's Indian Peaks Wilderness Area for an overnig...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 23, 7:09pm