BPL Community Profile

carl becker (carlbecker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me 54 years old 6' at 200lbs and getting back to doing some overnight hiking.
CityFairfax
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3 season

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by carl becker

Showing 131 - 140 of 319 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: When GG puts a flick lock on their LT4's...
I find the GG LT4 poles to be excellent. I would not purchase these if they changed the lock style. It is not broke don't fix it.

In GEAR » When GG puts a flick lock on their LT4's...
May 03, 11:26am

Re: MLD I don't get it!
You should call Ron today. I have only dealt with him once but have read many good things about his service. Really a shame you sold your pack.

In GEAR » MLD I don't get it!
May 03, 5:30am

Re: Sleeping Bag opinions
I do some research two years ago before I purchased a new down bag. My first priority was how cold was I going to be out in. That was freezing or about 30 degrees. Mother nature has a way of avo...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag opinions
May 02, 3:32pm

Re: Looking for substitution for sleeping bag while practice hiking
I use the sleeping bad stuff sack and fill it with enough items to make it full and weight the same. Currently I think mine is full of winter clothes.

In GEAR » Looking for substitution for sleeping bag while practice hiking
May 02, 10:53am

Re: Packing sleeping bag at bottom of pack or at the top?
I had a 20 year old NF down bag. I replaced it because it was more than I need and heavy. I stuffed it tight when hiking and stored it loose all other times. It did not seem to lose any loft. N...

In GEAR » Packing sleeping bag at bottom of pack or at the top?
April 28, 6:01am

Re: First time trekking pole user looking for advice.
I purchased some heavy adjustable trekking poles from REI a couple of years back. They made a big positive difference for me. I sold those and purchased the GG LT4 poles with straps. I don't...

In GEAR » First time trekking pole user looking for advice.
April 27, 5:04am

Re: Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ?
I did a fair amount of reseach into gear, shoes included. I have tried many different brands of shoe and tried different types of Inov 8 shoes. I finally tried the X-talon 212's. They fit my...

In GEAR » Inov 8 Shoes ... Just Another Cult ?
April 26, 8:24am

Re: Tripod for full size dslr and big lens
I have purchased a few tripods, starting cheap and heavy, left at home because of that. You might want to read www.bythom.com section on tripods. I did not before I started buying tripods. I cur...

In Photography » Tripod for full size dslr and big lens
April 25, 6:12am

Re: THE best photography carrying system?
I use thick socks as a pouch to put my lenses in. I can cut a sock in two for two small primes, anything from 20mm to 105mm fits nicely. Plastic bag works for water proofing if needed.

In GEAR » THE best photography carrying system?
April 22, 11:01am

Re: Solo Summer Alpine List Advise
You could save 87 grams by deleting the mug and bowl. I use a set like the Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo with paper coffee cup. Your tent setup could be changed to something that uses your trekking...

In Gear Lists » Solo Summer Alpine List Advise
April 22, 9:23am

All Reader Reviews by carl becker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Inov8 RocLite 315
I did lots of research to replace my 30 year old heavy leather boots. I tried many different boots at REI before I ordered these and have found my hiking shoe. I went one size up from my street shoes...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 16, 8:14pm

Osprey Exos 34 Exos 34
I recently looked at packs for some over night hiking. I tried the REI Flash 30, Montbell versalite 50, SMD Swift, GG Miniposa and Osprey exos 34. At 23 pounds the Osprey is by far the most comforta...

In Backpacks - External Frame
January 16, 8:03pm