Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Benjamin Smith (bugbomb) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me My first "lightweight" trip involved me tossing gear and spare clothes out of my external framed pack the night before a trek in southern Colorado. Now, I experiment with and design (my wife calls it "twiddling") some simple, lightweight gear and carry loads that have become dangerously flirtatious with the SUL barrier.

In south Texas, if you're a hiker, biker, or runner, you don't have to deal with elevation or cold temps. However, you do have to like the feeling of sweaty silnylon next to your skin on a 100 degree, 90+% humidity day.
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Benjamin Smith

Showing 131 - 140 of 361 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...37

Forum » Thread

Re: NBA
Hi Laurence, Not sure if this supports or undermines your point about Vegas, but it's interesting - ref suspended for ejecting Tim Duncan. Yeah, I'm a Spurs fan. JT, go easy on me...

In Chaff » Any Sports Fans?
April 17, 1:24pm

Re: Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants
Any plans to make these do double-duty as part of a VPL system for winter?

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants
April 16, 10:29pm

Re: Re: Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants
I guess you can rule out wearing your rain pants in the laundromat while your other clothes get washed! Seriously, they look amazing - unbelievable weight.

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants
April 16, 8:54pm

Re: Any Sports Fans?
How much do you think Cuban paid Joey Crawford for that?

In Chaff » Any Sports Fans?
April 16, 6:49am

Re: Quilt headwear
I've heard several people comment recently on the increased versatility of a pullover/balaclava combo as opposed to a jacket with an insulated hood. How so? I'll grant you that the weight p...

In GEAR » Warm head wear for using w/quilt?
April 15, 5:59pm

Re: Breathability test for Golite Trinity fabric
If you guys want to read more about the methods used to test breathability, check out Alan Dixon's article mentioned above.

In GEAR » GoLite's new Trinity Fabric
April 14, 10:15am

Re: The Long Trail
Hi John, Looks like a great list! I like your major selections. You could get away with fewer changes of clothing (but you probably know that). If it was me and I wanted a change, I'd bring ...

In Gear Lists » The Long Trail
April 14, 10:06am

Is National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Ready to Go Light?
Companion forum thread to: Is National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Ready to Go Light?

In Editor's Roundtable » Is National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Ready to Go Light?
April 10, 8:10pm

Adapt Gear Bison Trekking Pole REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Adapt Gear Bison Trekking Pole REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Adapt Gear Bison Trekking Pole REVIEW
April 10, 8:09pm

Re: Re: Your Avatar
Sunset near Thompson Peak in Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains. We were trying to get to Sawtooth lake before it got too dark, and as we hustled up the trail to the lake, we turned around to look back...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Avatar
April 09, 8:18am

All Reader Reviews by Benjamin Smith

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Platypus Platy Reservoir
I use the 4L Big Zip as my in camp water supply and for carting extra water through dry stretches (here in south Texas, the whole hike is typically a "dry stretch"). While I find the cap ang...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
July 15, 12:10pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
I've slept on this pad and on the similar POE Max Thermo (both full-length). The BA is more comfortable for back sleeping, and the POE is more comfortable when side sleeping. There's something...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 7:42am

Backpacking Light FireLite 500 Titanium Cookpot
I waited until I received the updated lid before posting my review, so my rating applies to the pot with the new "GOOD" lid, not the old "BAD" lid. My old lid didn't seat flush...

In Cookware - Titanium
May 07, 7:44pm

MSR Titan Kettle
I used this item on my recent Sawtooths trip. It worked great - stable, tight lid, strong - but I have one dilemma. I am a boil-and-set type cooker. This means I'm only boiling a cup or two at a time,...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 06, 4:46pm

New Balance 872
Weight - 12.7 oz Size - 9 EE Color - screaming, bright, obnoxious yellow So after years of wearing ill-fitting shoes, I decided to go in and see what size my feet really were. I typically wear 10...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 24, 5:19pm