BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 131 - 140 of 245 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Thanks for the tips...
Jim, We must be exactly the same size then. I guess I could purchase the Summerlite, try it out in my living room, and then, return it for the Megalite if it's not right for me. Hartley, Wh...

In Gear Lists » Updated Gear List
October 14, 3:17pm

RE: BV Solo Vs Bearikade
I have heard of the hassles surrounding the Bear Vault in general. Thanks for reminding me of this... In regards to cost/weight savings, I would probably opt for a cheaper 2-4 day solution but f...

October 13, 12:31pm

re: BV Solo
Good one! I basically filled my Garcia the brim with 9 days of food this past summer. I could probably get 5-6 days in a BV Solo though. Remember: At my age you tend to need less calories :)

October 13, 12:02pm

re: Narrow Bag and Upgrade Plan
Hi Hartley, How are you? I tend to toss and turn through out the night but I don't like the bag to roll with me. I like to turn but still keep the zipper facing the same direction. I will p...

October 13, 11:35am

Thanks for the advice.
Brad, Thanks for the advice. The narrow bag would be an issue for me because I tend to roll around a lot in the bag through the night. Plus I would need to add the MB Down Inners when the temp did ...

October 13, 9:26am

Prescription
I have degenerated into prescription glasses that have the "transitions" feature so they turn into sunglasses when needed. This is what happens when you get old :) One thing about plas...

In Philosophy & Technique » UV Protection for my eyes.
October 12, 10:13pm

Go with the parka
My advise is to go with the parka. It is really nice to have the hood when you need it. The other option is to purchase a separate hood/balaclava to wear in your sleeping bag when the temp drops be...

In GEAR » Updated Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket
October 12, 10:08pm

Incredible pictures
Who took the pictures? Beautiful!

In Post-Trip Reports » Trinity Alps - Oct 10/11
October 12, 10:04pm

RE: double or single wall?
Frank, You may be right about this although I never get condensation in the SL1. In comparison, before I bought the SL1, I used to camp with a Eureka Zeus EXO2. It is truly a single wall tent and I...

October 12, 2:38pm

re: C'mon
I feel embarrassed just looking at it. How much does it weigh?

In Gear Swap » WANTED: [MbVPTA] Markill Adapter for piercable gas canisters ASAP
October 11, 10:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm