Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

b d (bdavis) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
About Me Happy to find this site. Camping, hiking, whatever - love kayaks and have a bunch of foldables if people are ever in the area and want to use one - including a Klepper double which is great for taking gear and two people anywhere, including by sail in low wind conditions. Spent so much time reviewing all the posts and articles here over Thanksgiving I thought I would fill in some blanks. Me and partner live a few miles from Lassen peak on Hwy. 44 if you want to look it up and are in the area. Welcome to use our home as a base.
CityOld Station
StateCA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.shastalaw.net

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by b d

Showing 131 - 140 of 208 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Sprouts in a baggy?
Can you grow them in a ziploc? (Update: Just read new post, saying they can be grown in a ziploc.) Does it help for a ziploc to be put inside a pot or a Ti cup, to keep it from compressing, and ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » fresh "produce" on the trail
December 10, 11:29am

Re: Which Shelter?
Andy, I'm also a newbie to UL gear, about a year using it. Based on that I can say pj & others here at BPL are excellent sources of advice and info -- IMO best single source on the Inte...

In GEAR » Which shelter?
December 10, 10:58am

Tx 4 advy, conc's re: HS' RShadow test
1st, advice received is rt. on. Conc's 1st test: Concept worked, execution & executor needs vast improvement. 1. Tent pitch/tautness first priority next time. Roger's comme...

In Multiple Use Gear » Rainshadow 2 Tarptent as snow/4th season tent
December 10, 9:59am

The 10 essentials, explained and ULized +
Ditto to what pj posted on experienced persons providing insights based on experience. Also, a summary of the "10 essentials" modified or put into a UL context, with recommendations ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
December 10, 9:13am

Thanks Paul Tree
The beginning attitude is just natural -- or none of us would be here -- but the mind set comes from the people here and the incredible amount of knowledge and real people concentrated at this site...

In Gear Deals » Military Winter Coat and fur lined hood for 22 bucks
December 08, 9:00pm

Ti v. Aluminum - Ti plate as fry pan
I can tell you that a Snow Peak plate can work as a frying pan ... but it heats so fast and conveys heat so well that it is very hard to use, even with a SP Giga with a good simmer ability. Just a...

In GEAR » Ti vs. Al Cooking performance?
December 08, 8:46pm

Stoves in winter - Laurie
Laurie, I couldn't really find the topic you identified at the site you referred to. In any case, I am willing to take a lot of risks but when it comes to my partner it is the opposite. ...

In Winter Hiking » Newbie Winter AT Hiking Gear List
December 08, 8:36pm

Maybe Brian will make you one?
I just talked with a guy at Patagonia, by accident, when I was ordering a Base 2 wool top. He through hiked the PCT this year and at the beginning there was some kind of get together and Brian fro...

In Gear Swap » WTB: ULA P-1 (med. 18" torso fit)
December 08, 7:15pm

Pitch is on the way ..
Getting the pitch tight is on the way. Embarassing as it is, I was working to figure out how to bury the sides first, then figure out how to have good looking and better functioning tent set up. ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Rainshadow 2 Tarptent as snow/4th season tent
December 08, 6:51pm

I'll buy the rock wren if it's still available
I have been eyeing it for months. I don't need a long, but the extra down sells it for my needs. Thanks for the referral. I posted an email to the seller at the website you referred to.

In Gear Swap » FS: Feathered Friends Rock Wren
December 08, 5:40pm

All Reader Reviews by b d

Showing 1 - 10 of 112 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Review

Category

Outdoor Products Hall Pass Day/O'Nite Pack
I picked up this pack for $20 US at a Big 5 to experiment with (Campmor has it listed at $14.99). The thought was to see if it would do for a day, a night, and a day camping trip. Here it is packed,...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 29, 1:22pm

Gorillapod SLR
I rarely bother to review items I would not use or which deserve less than a 4, but this chain caught my eye. Owning a GorillaPod for SLRs I can't recommend it for a person trying to go UL. So I...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
January 27, 7:32pm

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
January 27, 6:30pm

Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil
I have been using the same piece of Reynolds aluminum foil for a windscreen and a food prep area for about 6 months, maybe 8 now. It held up well and is light weight. It is important to get the heav...

In Stoves - Other
January 26, 7:54pm

BMW Stealth 0 NANO (6x8) UL Tarp - 4.2 oz. Catenary Ridgeline
I don't think I could have found a better tarp to learn with and from. It is fragile compared to heavier fabric tarps, but it is precisely for that reason that it is a great learning tool This...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 26, 7:05pm

Mountain Hardwear Butter Balaclava
I entirely agree with Craig S.' review. I carry this item with me everywhere once the weather turns cool or cold. I wear it over or under my Mountain Hardwear Micro beanie, and both of them unde...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 26, 12:59pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
These are a real find. I was waiting for the BPL Gear Shop to get them back in stock and am glad I waited. My partner got a pair of gloves from another New Zealand supplier and although they are gre...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 23, 8:35pm

Mountain Hardwear Phantom Down Jacket (Women's)
This is a piece of gear my partner obtained. But, it also works for me. She got a large to wear over other items, and it fits me fine as well. It is well made and is warm, but not too hot in cold...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 23, 8:16pm

OR DryComp Summit Sack
A few short months ago I never thought I could use a frameless pack. But, testing out systems and hiking more, because my pack weight was going down as my familiarity and technique with gear and the ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 21, 8:05pm

McNett AquaMira Water Treatment
It has taken some time, and a lot of winter boredom, to get to trying out chemical water treatment systems -- goal: reduce weight w/o gagging on the water after treatment. So after studying here I fi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
January 21, 7:10pm