BPL Community Profile

Don Amundson (amrowinc) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I had been away from backpacking for many years. When I started researching equipment it was like coming too after a coma. I was amazed to discover "lightweight." I did the JMT in 2009 and have been regularly on the trail since.
CityPasadena
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/don

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Don Amundson

Showing 131 - 140 of 249 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Cozy: How much insulation is enough
I've found cheap car windshield reflectors is the best material. By cheap I mean the ones with foil on one side only, laminated to thin white foam. I got one at the 99 cent store for, what els...

In GEAR » Cozy: How much insulation is enough?
October 22, 10:15pm

Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles
I don't mean to jump on the question to Scott but I have my scale and the bottle he is referring to in front of me. They have been my favorite bottles for the last year. The bottle holds 24oz ...

In GEAR » Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles
October 20, 12:36pm

Graham Flexair Inflatable Pillows
On ebay both large and small sizes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlexAir-Inflatable-Pillow-Ultralight-Backpacking-Travel-Medical-New-Large-Size-/271078532312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d8a...

In Gear Deals » Graham Flexair Inflatable Pillows
October 18, 10:05pm

BPL members met
Hey Rowan--unless it's just an extreme coincidence you met a BPL member in 2010 on a trip to Willet Hot Springs in the Los Padres NF. Me. We were hiking with Ray Estrella amongst others though ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many BPL members have you met?
October 13, 9:10pm

Gabrielino Trail
Thanks for your trip report John. The last time I went over Newcomb was when I did the Gabrieleno Trail in 2009 before the Station Fire. From JPL the trail is open to the Paul Little Picnic area a...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Gabrielino Trail -- Doable?
October 13, 2:40pm

Lanyard Kit
My trail name isn't "Still Lookin'" without reason. I carry my lanyard in my pocket and connected to my pants/running shorts. It's not so much about a safety thing as it is a...

In GEAR » How the he$$%#% do you manage your lanyard kit
September 30, 8:59pm

Ultralight Packs Capable of Carrying A Berikade Expdition
I think you'll find most packs will hold a bear canister vertically. Heck, I can fit my bearikade weekender in my GG Murmur pack and I know an expedition will fit in their also because the dia...

In GEAR » Ultralight Packs Capable of Carrying A Berikade Expdition?
September 24, 11:44pm

JMT
I'm coming in on this late but just wanted to say hello Manfred. I met you and the family at MTR when Barbara K. and I pulled in for our resupply. Your daughters are little sweethearts. Just ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Hiking the John Muir Trail with our 9 and 10 year old daughters
September 11, 11:16pm

Black Diamond Z
I've been using the Black Diamond Distance Z poles for a year now and have had no problems. I bought them for air plane travel originally. The have a new model called the Distance FL Trekking P...

In GEAR » Need help with Trekking Poles
September 08, 3:05pm

JMT Qs on clothing
Anything can happen at anytime in the Sierras but all I carry is the DriDucks Emergency Poncho. Most downpours in my experience are short lived and anything beyond will have me setting up my shelte...

In Gear Lists » Couple JMT Qs on clothing Sept. trip
August 04, 10:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Don Amundson

Don Amundson has posted no reviews.