BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 131 - 140 of 289 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...29

Forum » Thread

Re: eVent Comparison?
Hi Philip. I did say that the thin fabric of the Tachyon affords more breathability than most other wind shirts. I don't know of any Event windshirts. The Event rain jackets I have tested are r...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Tachyon Anorak and Dynamo Wind Pants Review
November 03, 8:05am

Responses to: Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 3
Hi all, thanks for your comments. This article was a challenge to assemble. The NB Fugu jacket has been discontinued. Too bad, it was a great jacket. Happy hiking, Will

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 3
July 02, 12:15pm

Responses to Brooks Range Alpini Questions
Hi All, here's my responses to comments and questions: Richard: Of course the FF Hyperion and WM Flight are also similar to the Alpini. I chose to narrow it a bit by listing the MOST similar...

In Editor's Roundtable » Brooks-Range Alpini Mountain Anorak Review
June 01, 8:26am

Re: And your travel boots?
Hi Eric. I am still dealing with the frozen boot/cold feet issue. If I don't wear a VBL, moisture from sweat builds up in the lining of my snowshoeing and ski boots, which means cold feet, and ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review
April 05, 6:46pm

Re: Down Bootie Review
Ken, the XL booties measure 13 inches long, and that's pressing against both ends. Measure the length of your feet. I don't think feet any longer than 13 inches would fit. Best, Will

In Editor's Roundtable » Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review
March 31, 12:10pm

Re: *Warmpth Tests
Hi Ken, no I didn't measure the Cocoon pant for comparison. Sorry. I am including the Cocoon pullover for comparison in my down jacket test. Best, Will

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Down Pants: Light, Warm, and Versatile
March 26, 8:26am

Responses to Minim 400 Comments
Hi all. Some of you commented that the bag's loft was less than expected. That is probably due to the bag's girth; note that this is a wider bag (Size Standard: Shoulder/hip/foot: 67/58/39 ...

In Editor's Roundtable » PHD Minim 400 Sleeping Bag Review
February 17, 8:18am

Responses to PHD Ultra Pullover Comments
Hi all. My responses: Franco: Yes, that is a BSI Mirage 1P. I will be publishing a review on it in the spring. Mike/Lynn: PHD doesn't like to reveal the amount of down in their garments, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » PHD Mountain Software Ultra Down Pullover Review
January 30, 6:48pm

Responses to Marmot Hydrogen Comments/Questions
Hi all, thanks for your comments. Here are some individual responses: David: You're right, a better comparison would be with the WM MegaLite. I was thinking in terms of the lightest bags and...

In Editor's Roundtable » Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag Review
January 10, 8:24am

Re: What pad and sleep position is used for your sleeping bag tests?
Hi Everyone, I used a Big Agnes Clearview pad for testing the Spiral Down Hugger. Most of my testing was done in the summer and early fall, so the Clearview was warm enough underneath. I'm a...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell UL Spiral Down Hugger Sleeping Bag Review
December 10, 6:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm