BPL Community Profile

Walter Carrington (Snowleopard) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Mass.
About Me Walter Carrington has not added a biography yet.
CityAshburnham
StateMA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Walter Carrington

Showing 131 - 140 of 557 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...56

Forum » Thread

'Care and feeding of your bear canister.'
I've never had to carry enough at one time to use all this advice, but here's an article on stuffing lots of food into a bear canister: www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/health/canisterca...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Realistic Number of Days Food in Bearikade Weekender/Expedition
March 04, 10:20am

Half pyramid with vestibule (Royce tent)
That looks like a version of the Royce tent. There's a design in Horace Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft", 1921, p86-91, available free online in pdf and ebook: http://www.archi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Half Pyramid
March 02, 10:00am

LED replacement bulbs for regular flashlights
Nice find. I have an older technology version and it gives light forever in a 2D flashlight. This Dorcy version should last longer than 100 hours in a 2D flashlight, making it great for emergenc...

In Gear Deals » LED replacement bulbs for regular flashlights
February 28, 5:55pm

minimal crampons.
Yaktrax: don't use them, they break; microspikes have completely replaced them in New England. Microspikes: work well when it's not steep. They don't work so great on hard ice. Th...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Minimal shoes and crampons? An idea...
February 28, 12:38pm

Too little insulation.
For a windy 30F evening you were drastically under dressed for sitting around. While you were exercising heavily you were producing a lot of heat and could get by lightly clothed. Once you sat do...

In Philosophy & Technique » i was cold...
February 27, 11:27am

Smart phone.
The 'My Tracks' program on my android phone will do most of this. If you're in the wilderness with no cell/data connection you'll have to wait till you get to civilization to uploa...

In GEAR » Personal Tracking Device
February 26, 7:55am

NE trail weather.
Seth, you'll freeze at night in the north unless our present hot weather continues. Check out the weather underground for the weather history. For the northern end look at the Jaffrey,NH, air...

In Gear Lists » March or April New England Trail UL Thru-Hike
February 20, 11:51am

coldest temperature
-30F in the Catskills (NY) a couple times in 1960s and 1970s. -20F frequently in the Catskills, 1960s and 1970s. My parents lived there 1964 to 1978. In those days -30F happened once a winter,...

In Winter Hiking » coldest temperature you've experienced?
February 06, 9:16am

PM sent
PM sent. I'm interested if they're still available.

In Gear Swap » FS: REI Taped Waterproof Mittens
January 27, 9:24am

Japanese keyhole saws?
David, you might enjoy browsing http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html They have keyhole saws and bonsai trimming saws with skinny blades that look pretty light. My favorite pruning saw (not...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG pull saw
January 21, 9:02am

All Reader Reviews by Walter Carrington

Walter Carrington has posted no reviews.