BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 131 - 140 of 498 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...50

Forum » Thread

Katabatic
I have a Sawatch regular that is wider than the current reg width but not as wide as the new wide models. It has been used on a two night trip by my wife car camping. She didn't like the whol...

In Gear Swap » WTB Katabatic Quilt
August 29, 12:02pm

WWR
I am headed to the Winds for a couple of weeks next Friday and will be taking an overfilled 40f Katabatic quilt. My bigger question is whether to bring a vest or a jacket but will most likely go v...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Wind River Range Weather
August 23, 11:50am

Quack!
I have traveled a similar path, Limmers and alll. I found the Timberland Cadion xcr some 7 or 8 years ago and am wearing out the last of three pairs. Unfortunately they aren't made any more a...

In GEAR » Of Mids and Things - A Duckfoot's Lament.
August 18, 9:08pm

Backups
I carry a headlamp and photon, mini bic and firesteel, uv water treatment and filter straw. That's it for back up and I don't carry a knife and haven't for decades. I do have mini sci...

In GEAR » Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?
August 14, 8:01am

Pads
In NC it could be. I find the summer issue to be more of the non- breathable nature of the pad more than the insulating value. My mattress at home is most likely R20 or more but it breathes. ...

In GEAR » Enlightened quilt-NC mountains
August 10, 2:59pm

Quilt
I have tried a number of the more popular quilts and can't say enough good things about Katabatic. I have 3 and would recommend the Palisade wide and long. You could even add a couple oz of o...

In GEAR » Need advice on a sleeping bag
August 10, 12:56pm

Pads
At the temps you are anticipating (20 f or so), I would recommend the neo all season, exped ul7 synthetic or exped ul7 down. All three can be seen at most REI stores.

In GEAR » Enlightened quilt-NC mountains
August 10, 12:50pm

UL 7 Synmat or Downmat
Last year I used a UL 7 Synmat and really liked it but felt a bit cool at freezing. I must admit that I have been pushing the limits of a 40f quilt into the 20's, but out of curiosity I purcha...

In GEAR » Which Exped pad?
July 01, 7:54am

Luxury pads
Definately pads for me. I have been through everything out there and currently have settled on an Exped UL downmat... Love the pump sack! I have been sleeping on this even in warm weather (50 to ...

In GEAR » BackSliding
June 27, 8:32am

Width
That's a bit narrow for comfortable two person use imho. I too would like to see 55-60" for the width. Two large pads would be a no go.

In GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!
June 08, 8:16am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am