Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 131 - 140 of 314 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...32

Forum » Thread

Tent materials in hail
I experienced about a half-hours worth of heavy, grape-sized hail in my SMD Luna Solo. It held up just fine.

In GEAR » Tent materials in hail
May 07, 8:01pm

Hiking the Grand Canyon?
I hike in the Grand Canyon at least twice a year typically for 3-4 nights each trip. My preference is to go solo in the less visited parts of The Canyon; I wouldn't know how to locate a guide ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking the Grand Canyon?
March 07, 8:39am

Canister Stoves.
Fuel canisters can be purchased at Red's Meadow and at Muir Trail Ranch. You can also get them at Tuolumne Meadows and at Vermillion Valley Resort. They cost more there than they do at Walmar...

In GEAR » Canister Stoves.
February 08, 6:28pm

Fly Creek in the Winter??
I have a Fly Creek and think it is a good three season tent. I would not use it as a winter tent anywhere there is the possibility of blowing snow. If your winter weather means rain then it would...

In GEAR » Fly Creek in the Winter??
October 14, 8:06pm

Big Agnes Fly Creek Questions
I have a Fly Creek and I second Benjamin's comments. If you don't dawdle when you get in or out, very little water will get in through the door. Sure it is a trade-off but I have had seve...

In GEAR » Big Agnes Fly Creek Questions??
September 12, 5:13pm

Filter for silty water/desert hikes
A bandanna won't work to strain out silt that can clog a filter. Silt is material with a particle diameter between 2 and 50 micrometers. A micrometer is 1/1000 of a millimeter. It takes a pr...

In GEAR » Filter for silty water/desert hikes
September 10, 1:04pm

JMT bear canister capacity question
You can get ten days of food into a BV-500 if you pack for minimum volume per calorie rather than just trying to stuff a bunch of freeze dried stuff into the can. I am an old, slow hiker and spent...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT bear canister capacity question
August 18, 8:22pm

Question about leaving a car at Whitney Portal
At least a couple of years ago, you could park your car in the lot behind the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce for $20. They assured me my car would be safe and not towed. But, I finally decided...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question about leaving a car at Whitney Portal
August 12, 3:37pm

How do you save money and live a simple life?
I recommend that you get the book "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez and Viki Robin. It details steps you can take to achieve financial independence before you retire. I followe...

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
July 31, 10:16am

Your experiences patching air mattresses in the field?
I carry a Thermarest patching kit with me for any trip of more than one night--I don't intend to get up in the middle of the night and try to patch my mattress; ever! I have used the kit twice...

In GEAR » Your experiences patching air mattresses in the field?
July 24, 2:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm