BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 131 - 140 of 406 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...41

Forum » Thread

How much do rescues cost?
I need your help. I'm working on a BPL article about rescue insurance for backpackers. If we know how much rescues might cost, we can make better decisions about buying insurance. Ever...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much do rescues cost?
November 18, 8:51am

Re: Re: Locating a cell phone and other thoughts
Bob wrote: Rex, it is that "varying degrees of accuracy" phrase that always bothers me. After doing some more digging, accurate locations for 911 calls in the United States turns out ...

In GEAR » DeLorme InReach SE vs. SpareOne Plus Emergency Phone
November 17, 11:19pm

Locating a cell phone and other thoughts
All cell phones can be located to varying degrees of accuracy via cell towers. If the phone is visible to three towers, you can triangulate and get a good location. If the phone is visible to...

In GEAR » DeLorme InReach SE vs. SpareOne Plus Emergency Phone
November 17, 9:38pm

FYI: Viewing KML in Google Maps
You don't need Google Earth to view KML (or KMZ) files, if the file is posted on a public web site like Amy's. Just paste the address of the KML into the Google Maps Search box and press...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Big SEKI Loop (as an alternative to the JMT)
November 15, 8:07pm

Re: Re: 121.5 no longer processed
121.5 MHz is also the International Air Distress frequency for use by non-military aircraft. According to Wikipedia: 121.5 MHz is monitored by most air traffic control towers, FSS services, nation...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pressing the help button: Drama on andromea
November 14, 9:29am

Refill with wax-soaked cardboard?
Just an idea: refill with wax-soaked cardboard strip sized for your stove. Cardboard might provide the wick, so you don't need the fiberglass. Unless, of course, TSA bans wax-soaked cardboar...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wax burners
November 13, 12:06pm

Great photos!
Kat, Great photos! We know the mountain lions are out there, but it's great to see them. I feel privileged to have seen two in 30 years of tramping around these mountains. Ironically, one...

In Photography » Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!
November 12, 11:34pm

Re: Santa Cruz Mountains. Private land to public land trails.
Count me interested. I've been exploring official trails in these mountains for over 30 years, only crossing into private land when I get "lost", e.g. the sign says "No Trespassi...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Santa Cruz Mountains. Private land to public land trails.
November 11, 10:21pm

Grand Canyon aircraft noise & more
A while back (late 1990s?) NPS tackled the noise problems created by increasing aircraft traffic over the Grand Canyon. After several years of intense negotiations (and maybe lawsuits), they compro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "Its absolute indifference steadied me."
November 10, 10:56pm

Re: Re: Exit from VVR story
My memory is bad. I was camped below Silver Pass Lake, near Silver Pass Creek. I think. Maybe. BTW, California has 12 lakes or reservoirs with official names which are variants of "Silver L...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Logistical exits at John Muir Ranch - JMT going southbound.
November 10, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.