BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 131 - 140 of 412 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...42

Forum » Thread

DeLorme inReach SE can show your coordinates
Yes, the DeLorme inReach SE can show your coordinates, but it takes a couple of steps. You look under "History", and select the most recent point. You will get your Latitude and Longit...

In GEAR » Garmin for the semi-luddite
November 20, 8:56am

Link to Good Morning America clip
Here's the Good Morning America clip on 911 location problems that John mentioned: http://gma.yahoo.com/video/murder-victims-husband-fights-improve-121323771.html Light on details, long on ...

In GEAR » Serious problems with cell phone 911 call locations
November 18, 10:53pm

Back to cell phones and 911 ...
I'm not encouraging anyone to take a cell phone, inReach SE, PLB, or even a map and compass (*) into the wilderness. That's an individual decision, and I respect whatever decision you caref...

November 18, 10:35pm

Taking Kraft "parmesan cheese" on the trail
Kraft "parmesan cheese" mixed with garlic powder, dried basil, and pine nuts, will keep for several months in a Seal-A-Meal vacuum pouch. Ran that experiment as leftover food from several...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Taking good parmesan cheese on the trail
November 18, 10:13pm

Yes
I've been buying or coveting Patagonia equipment since it was Chouinard Equipment and GPIW. I still have a 1970s vintage RURP and Repair Kit. Patagonia's equipment is usually well-made, and...

In GEAR » Has reading "Let My People Go Surfing" changed your thoughts on Patagonia's gear and/or company?
November 18, 9:14pm

Serious problems with cell phone 911 call locations
USA cell phone callers expect that when we call 911 for an emergency, first responders can find us, even if we can't tell them where we are. Don't count on it. For example, 911 call c...

November 18, 10:27am

How much do rescues cost?
I need your help. I'm working on a BPL article about rescue insurance for backpackers. If we know how much rescues might cost, we can make better decisions about buying insurance. Ever...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much do rescues cost?
November 18, 8:51am

Re: Re: Locating a cell phone and other thoughts
Bob wrote: Rex, it is that "varying degrees of accuracy" phrase that always bothers me. After doing some more digging, accurate locations for 911 calls in the United States turns out ...

In GEAR » DeLorme InReach SE vs. SpareOne Plus Emergency Phone
November 17, 11:19pm

Locating a cell phone and other thoughts
All cell phones can be located to varying degrees of accuracy via cell towers. If the phone is visible to three towers, you can triangulate and get a good location. If the phone is visible to...

In GEAR » DeLorme InReach SE vs. SpareOne Plus Emergency Phone
November 17, 9:38pm

FYI: Viewing KML in Google Maps
You don't need Google Earth to view KML (or KMZ) files, if the file is posted on a public web site like Amy's. Just paste the address of the KML into the Google Maps Search box and press...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Big SEKI Loop (as an alternative to the JMT)
November 15, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.