BPL Community Profile

Paul Magnanti (PaulMags) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale People's Republic of Boulder
About Me I like to hike, backpack, camp and backcountry ski every so often...
CityBoulder
StateCO
My Website URLhttp://www.pmags.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul Magnanti

Showing 131 - 140 of 823 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...83

Forum » Thread

stealth camping
About 5 yrs ago, I was on a section of the Arizona Trail perhaps 50 miles or so from the Mexico border. At oh-dark-early, I hear what sounded in my groggy state like a herd of elephants coming t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Perils of stealth camping, hiking, or even jogging in the US
March 26, 12:39pm

preparation
I can only imagine the feelings are different going solo vs taking someone you have responsibility for. Taking a Wilderness First Aid course may help ease those feelings a bit. About $200 +/-...

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpacking solo
March 26, 12:30pm

solo hiking
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpacking solo
March 25, 10:50am

snow
The 10k is a rough rule of thumb. Depends if we get another snow dump between now and next month and even where the hike is located. ~9k or below is probably a safer, overall bet. (In other words...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Day hikes near Denver?
March 24, 9:45pm

August
Actually, by late August we are transitioning into Fall up in the high country. Not that t-storms can't happen, but that chances become less likely as the calendar turns closer to Labor Day. Ju...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Mummy Range or Never Summer Mountains RMNP
March 24, 8:42am

Mummy Range
The route sounds do-able with some very important caveats: *You are above treeline a lot on this route. When do you plan on backpacking it? Be aware in summer that t-storms roll in around 1pm or...

March 23, 7:10pm

Winter gear
By winter gear, do you mean snowshoes or skis? :) In Denver, on 3/22, it is currently snowing. More so at 10k ft. If I was not taking a class today, i would be skiing. So, unless you want to po...

March 22, 1:51pm

April
I am still often backcountry skiing in early June just outside of Nederland. :) Your best bet at that time of the year are the foothills outside of Denver, Boulder, Golden and other areas. L...

March 21, 2:18pm

The Bee-tles
I was just going to say that. :) The Mummy Range is my favorite range in the park...and, coming from the Front Range (Boulder) is a little easier for me to reach. My (now) wife, my buddy and ...

March 21, 12:54pm

maps
Maps make me smile. I pore over a map and I see passes to climb to, vistas to see, streams to ford and woods containing trails full of fallen leaves. Maps fuel my outdoor dreams. Places to...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What ONE piece of gear makes you smile and why
March 21, 9:30am

All Reader Reviews by Paul Magnanti

Paul Magnanti has posted no reviews.