BPL Community Profile

Douglas Frick (Otter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Wyoming
About Me Douglas Frick has not added a biography yet.
StateWY

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Douglas Frick

Showing 131 - 140 of 767 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...77

Forum » Thread

Re: thinlight
>How do you carry the Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" full-length sleeping pad? I roll it up and lay it, U-shaped, in the bottom of my Mariposa Plus pack. It holds the bottom fabric out, ...

In GEAR » GG Torso Pad
March 29, 9:38pm

Re: West Coast Trail
I liked Mark's short, pointed comment when he first picked up his pack. The trail looks great. Thanks for posting this.

In Post-Trip Reports » West Coast Trail
March 29, 4:46pm

Re: Help Selecting Light Digital Still Camera
The Pentax Optio series is mentioned in this BPL thread. Good lightweight waterproof cameras.

In Photography » New digital still cameras
March 29, 4:19pm

Re: Nightlight torso w/ULA Conduit
>Has anyone tried this with the Nighlight pad and had good results? I can't answer your question exactly, but I tried a similar arrangement in my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. It worked ...

In GEAR » GG Torso Pad
March 29, 2:01pm

Re: GG Torso Pad
I bring a Gossamer Gear ThinLight 1/8" full-length sleeping pad (2.5 oz), but I'm also sleeping on a quilt so I need a bit more ground insulation. (I use my pack as a pillow.) The GG Night...

In GEAR » GG Torso Pad
March 29, 10:56am

Re: Re: Quilt or top bag versus reg. bag
I've switched and I'm not going back. If you are a large person, you may need a wider quilt (the JacksRBetter 48-inch quilts aren't quite wide enough for me; I'm sure their 64-inch ...

In GEAR » Quilt or top bag versus reg. bag
March 29, 10:34am

Re: Wilderness First Aid
Hmmm...I take most of those items even on a day hike: the ten essentials. (The SAM splint lives in the bigger first aid kit I bring with groups.) Perhaps your perspective depends on where you hike,...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wilderness First Aid
March 28, 10:30pm

Re: without experience it's hard to figure it all out
>For lightweight 3 season coming up, this time I'm starting with pack. Then I'm going to shelter. then finally bag/quilt and pad. You might want to do that in the opposite order: ge...

In GEAR » What makes a sleeping bag worth big $
March 27, 7:57pm

Re: Re: Treatment times
Referring to Benjamin's list above: >For those who want to kill all three groups of badies (viruses, bacteria and cysts), the following options can be used... PJ has brought to our att...

In GEAR » Water purification
March 27, 9:06am

Re: SteriPens?
>...and they concluded that the SteriPens FAILED on all 4 of their evaluation criteria. Their evaluation was predicated on the device being used in turbid water without pre-filtering. Since...

In GEAR » Water purification
March 27, 8:57am

All Reader Reviews by Douglas Frick

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Petzl Zipka
I have the original 3-LED Zipka (1.9 oz with Lithium batteries). It is my regular headlamp (when there's little likelihood of hiking at night) and I always carry it with me on day hikes. It isn...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 07, 1:54pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
I grabbed a bunch of random non-Cliff bars at REI before a recent trip. A few of them were wretched, some just indifferent, and a few I thought would be worthwhile to remember for next time. And then ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 13, 1:03pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
The good points are: fast, fuel-efficient, easy, simple, and reliable boiling water. You can hold it in your hand while you boil water, if finding a place to set up a hot stove is a problem in your en...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 10:55am

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I read all of the free articles, and after looking at the abstracts of the Premium articles, I immediately bought a membership. That was well worth it right there. I've also more than saved the price ...

In Books and Media
December 26, 10:01pm

Hiking Light Handbook by Karen Berger
This is a great intro to lightweight backpacking. She covers all of the major gear areas in an uncomplicated fashion, giving overviews of what, why and how to lighten up. The book includes strategies,...

In Books and Media
December 26, 9:56pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I refer to it as my "ugly hat," but it's the one I always grab when it's sunny. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy. I just tighten the headband a bit (easily and securely adjust...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 23, 9:16pm

Brunton Helios "Stormproof" lighter
I don't have a Brunton Helios lighter, but unfortunately there isn't a way to comment without giving a rating. I do, however, have six butane 'windproof' lighters/torches: a Brunton Firelight, a Solo ...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 23, 8:27pm

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
This is a thick book with a lot of useful information. I found it inspiring, with a fairly well-balanced idea of hiking and camping with light gear. I've bought copies for friends, with the simple adm...

In Books and Media
November 25, 2:17pm

Superfeet Performance Green
I have flat feet after wearing rubber slippers in Hawaii for 15 years. When I got back into hiking I found I could only pack for a mile or two before my feet started screaming. Superfeet solved that p...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 25, 1:47pm