BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 131 - 140 of 1749 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...175

Forum » Thread

HooRah!
Excellent video! "Life of ease, protection and entitlement" Many of us parents say that we want better for our children than what we had at their age. Quite often we mistake "b...

In Editor's Roundtable » Boys in the Wild (Short Film)
January 30, 3:41pm

Re: At the end of the day...the fiddle factor with tarps
I've done the traditional tent, hammock, tarp with bivy and hybrid tent. In all fairness my traditional tent set up very quickly. My hammock was actually a little bit slower to set up (searc...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Tarp and bivy vs. hybrid tent debate 2013
January 30, 12:02pm

Re: Sierra Trading Post
Tyler, Copy and paste this link to your address bar and hit enter. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/satisfaction-guarantee/ From what I see on this page at their website you are in...

In GEAR » Shoe fitting - laces, sizing, etc.
January 30, 10:29am

Re: Re: Re: Shoe fitting - laces, sizing, etc.
Tyler, "Any other tips? I'm almost set on getting the larger of the two sizes. Since I can't return these after a trip if they don't work out, I'm hoping to make a wise choi...

January 29, 8:54pm

Re: Shoe fitting - laces, sizing, etc.
Tyler, Nothing beats trying the shoes on! Nothing!! From my own experience shoes run small and large in the same sizes from different manufacturers. Sometimes depending on the style of shoe t...

January 29, 5:10pm

Re: poking holes in something you want water proof
David, To clarify my pinning process I don't pin through the portion of the fabric that I intend to use as the roof panels for the tarp. I only pin the portion that will actually be cut o...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 27, 3:46pm

Re: If it bends differently for the two sides, they won't match
What worked best for me was having a fairly large work area. I used the kitchen table with the center leaf added. There was a little slipping and sliding that needed to be done to accomplish the ta...

January 27, 7:38am

Re: If it bends differently for the two sides, they won't match
Jerry said; "One thing about using brown paper for a template, is it tends to bend a little which will make the amount of catenary deflection more or less. If it bends differently for the t...

January 27, 7:21am

Re: 2" Catenary deflection
+1 for "I would agree with Jerry on the 2" deflection." We all seem to be in full agreement on the amount of deflection. My amount of deflection was 2 9/16" over a 120&quo...

January 27, 6:24am

Re: Re: Re: My version of the Nightwing - the Fightwing
Tyler, Info on making a catenary curve can be found at... http://www.wvi.com/~ulmyog/ ...by clicking on the third menu item. It'sthe best and easiest to use that I have found. Plug ...

January 26, 10:30pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm