BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 131 - 140 of 550 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...55

Forum » Thread

Tilley LTM6 Hat Advice Needed
I'm currently using a booney-style hat with sides made completely of mesh, the Columbia Omni-shade Bora-Bora (http://www.rei.com/product/778057/columbia-omni-shade-bora-bora-booney-hat). I&#...

In GEAR » Tilley LT4 Hat Advice Needed
June 30, 9:23pm

Fire with wet wood
Shave off the wet bark and 2-3mm of wood to get to dry wood, then make a generous handful of dry shavings (ie: tinder). Also make 2 generous handfuls of 3-6mm diameter "twigs" (ie: kindl...

In GEAR » Bush Buddy Ultra - What fuel when really wet ??
June 27, 5:23pm

Tent
Tarptent.com, Rainshadow.

In GEAR » 3 person tent/tarp
June 27, 4:41pm

Bilgy Tent & modern spin-offs
I wrote: Is there an advantage to sewing the bug net to the tarp 12-18" in from the edge ? Wouldn't sewing the bug net to the edge of the tarp eliminate a seam that could leak and create ...

In GEAR » DIY Tarp Shape
June 25, 10:11am

Bilgy Tent & modern spin-offs
Is there an advantage to sewing the bug net to the tarp 12-18" in from the edge ? Wouldn't sewing the bug net to the edge of the tarp eliminate a seam that could leak and create more elbow...

In GEAR » DIY Tarp Shape
June 24, 6:39pm

Basic pack needed
I'm looking for a basic pack for LW backpacking. Here's my criteria, in order of priority: 50-60 Liters capacity Wide & cushy hip belt & straps 3-4" of torso length adjus...

In GEAR » Basic pack needed
June 10, 9:04pm

1st Tarp for Couples
My advise is to get a 10x12 flat tarp in silnylon to start with if you know you'll have 2 people often, and you are a beginning tarp user. It's not that hard to pitch a flat tarp taugh...

In GEAR » Help me pick my first tarp
June 10, 8:26pm

Down bags
I think Down is significantly warmer (ie: true to it's temp rating, whereas synthetic is usually rated 10-15 degrees "optimistic"). However, down may be a problem on the east coast...

In GEAR » Down vs. synthetic sleeping bag
June 08, 8:54pm

Lightweight Synthetic 40-45 degree sleeping bag
Does anyone know of any lightweight synthetic 40-45 degree sleeping bags ? The REI Lumen is 37.5 oz on my scales. The Marmot Axiom has an advertised weight of 25 oz, but I'm concerned about t...

In GEAR » Lightweight Synthetic 45 degree sleeping bag
June 03, 7:29pm

Down bags
Here in Maryland, the spring weather is 90% humidity during the day with 4-6 hours of light rain most nights, and 20-25 degree temperature drops at night. As a result, I get condensation even unde...

In GEAR » The Pacific Northwest Gear Thread
June 03, 3:55pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm