BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 131 - 140 of 448 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...45

Forum » Thread

O Canada
Wonderful story..... What a great dad you are, Sunshine is very lucky. I'm sure your other Daughter will be wanting to make the hike too. I remember hiking for a few days with Wired in sou...

In Editor's Roundtable » O Canada!
December 21, 9:51am

Bookworm
I did some trail angeling this year on the PCT. I met a thru-hiker named 'Bookworm' at Stevens Pass in Washington State that carried a Kindle with him the entire way. It's obvius wher...

In GEAR » Kindle and Yogi's PCT handbook
December 16, 10:44am

Great Belt.....
Ben, I agree with Bradley too. The belt on the EXOS 58 is the most comfortable I've used in my 40 years of hiking. I wish it was a tad smaller though. I'm 5'9" and weigh 157 lb...

In GEAR » Talk me out of an Exos 58
December 16, 9:26am

Awesome Tent - Lightheart
Like many on this discussion I'm surprised this tent isn't talked about more often. I own the cuben solo with awning. It's the exact same tent that Francis has pictured. This tent is...

In GEAR » Kudos to Judy @ Lightheart Gear - SoLong 6
December 12, 2:50pm

Hikin Jim
Sorry I didn't answer earlier...I just now saw your question. Yes, the wire is as you described. I have no idea what it's for and I've never needed it.

In GEAR » Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests
November 30, 2:07pm

Love this Pack
First off I'm 5' 9" tall and weigh 158 lbs with a small 30" waist. I hear this pack fits thin people better, which I am. I used my EXOS 58 for 924 miles this summer along the PC...

In GEAR » Osprey EXOS 58??
November 16, 8:52am

Wow....real nice
Call me an idiot, but I'd never heard of Zimmerbuilt. I just looked at his site and I'm extremely impressed with the packs he's made. I really like the cuben fiber pack he made for Je...

In GEAR » ZimmerBuilt
November 15, 11:55am

Viewing Lukes Products
Click on......"Lukes Catalog" to view his products.

In Gear Deals » UL Rain shell and UL Gear
November 01, 9:25pm

Yup....Engineer
I remember this question coming up a couple years ago. I'm a Civil Engineer working for a private consulting firm here in the Seattle area. I've been at it for 23 years, specializing in w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What do you do for a living?
November 01, 9:54am

Good Looking Pillow
I like the fact the pillows aren't filled 100% with down. I never understood why I'd want my head to hit the ground. Will the mixture with climashield prevent my head from hitting the gro...

In Gear Deals » UL Rain shell and UL Gear
November 01, 9:45am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am