BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 131 - 140 of 2288 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...229

Forum » Thread

Re: Bacon
Bob, I know of what you speak*, but I haven't noticed any for a few decades. That said, a trip to Safeway and 2 minutes with my vac-packer and I could recreate that at a little lower weight. ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bacon
February 10, 2:08pm

Renting.
BPL is full of gearheads each with closets full of gear. But a generational shift has occurred and Millennials are much more open to renting versus owning. REI still rents stuff, right? I work...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
February 10, 1:57pm

Re: Re: Re: experiment
William: I too, am unclear on which DeLorme unit Jennifer is proposing and its capacities. Edited due to cross-posting with Jennifer: Texting is, IMO and IME much more important and more useful ...

In Gear Lists » How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
February 10, 1:40pm

Re: experiment
If I need a GPS or PLB on the JMT, I'd ask the next hiker that came along. GPS and PLBs are great tools and I've been happy to have them in remote, off-trail locations. The JMT is neit...

In Gear Lists » How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo
February 10, 12:59pm

Re: "Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?"
"I want to show them the options, so they can make their own decisions. " What you're doing is great Dena, but the phrase above gave me pause. Because I often do it to a fault. I...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
February 10, 12:07am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your first "UL" piece of gear?
Tony, I had that Alpenlite pack until this year when I gifted it through BPL to a Boy Scout leader to forward to a Scout. It wasn't cuben, and it was just sold as a tarp, but an Outdoor Pro...

In GEAR » Your first "UL" piece of gear?
February 09, 6:01pm

Re: Nero day hot showers on a thru hike?
Decades ago, a friend was bicycling touring. They had all their camping gear along, but the occasional night in a hotel was tempting. They looked for motels that, late in the evening, clearly wer...

In Philosophy & Technique » Nero day hot showers on a thru hike?
February 06, 1:10pm

Re: Double layer tent?
Adam, I concur that body heat can be sufficient to heat a certain volume, and even at -40, my own house is so well-insulated and tight that much of the heat needed comes from bodies, cooking, an...

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpackable Wood Stoves: Theory and Ultralight Application
February 06, 12:40pm

Little Vicky or Buck Paklite
I'm big on scissors myself, having observed how many trips from the jobsite to the ER are made for knife and razor-knife injuries, but never because of scissors. e.g. open a Mountain House pac...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » unltralite knife
February 05, 3:42pm

Re: Re: Wish they had this when I was a kid! Just bought one. Cool Idea
They show them being used on trails, but the first thing that popped into my head was "Parades" and how it would let a kid get a better view of a parade, sporting event, animals at the zo...

In GEAR » Wish they had this when I was a kid! Just bought one. Cool Idea
February 05, 12:14pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.