Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Buck Nelson (Colter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Alaska
About Me I have recently retired as a career smokejumper. Like most Backpackinglight members I enjoy my outdoor adventures, such as thru-hiking the AT, CDT, the Desert Trail and PCT. I recently completed a 1,000 mile traverse of northern Alaska. You can see photos and the stories at my website.
CityFairbanks
StateAlaska
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.bucktrack.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Buck Nelson

Showing 131 - 140 of 411 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...42

Forum » Thread

Re: Another HYOH issue
"I think this is another issue where it's best to not judge." There you go. Typical HYOH theory. It's more fun for everyone that way.

In Philosophy & Technique » 'Trail names'
July 23, 12:42am

My walk through Death Valley
Donation requested for walk and video: $0. Availability: Now. Video Written account

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Solo Death Valley Trek
July 22, 8:58am

SOLD
Hexamid had been sold.

In Gear Swap » FS: Hexamid Solo Tarp. Olive drab, w/o beak. Used 1 night. 4 oz. (113 grams) $150
July 19, 8:18am

SOLD: Hexamid Solo Tarp. Olive drab, w/o beak. Used 1 night. 4 oz. (113 grams)
To the fellow who has already paid via PayPal.

In Gear Swap » FS: Hexamid Solo Tarp. Olive drab, w/o beak. Used 1 night. 4 oz. (113 grams) $150
July 16, 1:57pm

Re: Is a groundsheet really necessary?
I have never used a groundsheet and I backpack a lot. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to rely on the waterproofness of a tent floor to keep me dry. When I cowboy camp I never use a groun...

In GEAR » Is a groundsheet really necessary?
July 15, 10:12am

It was Chad's review to write
It's easy to find technical information about this product or most other products on the internet. When I buy a product I am MORE interested in the real-world experience of the end-user with si...

In GEAR » Suntactics sCharger-5
July 14, 8:50pm

Re: Re: it doesn't exist (- and never did)
Good points, David, as usual. It's a romantic notion that before the coming of the white man the America's hadn't suffered from significant negative impacts by man. As you pointed o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » My forest is burning!
July 13, 5:27pm

Is it wilderness if it's managed with fire?
The original colonists in the pre USA northeast noted the park like character of the forests, that park like character was the direct result of millenia of good forestry management by the natives. ...

July 12, 8:22pm

The answers aren't clear
First of all Eric, I can empathize with you not wanting to see your favorite hiking area burn. I was a career wildland firefighter and I have to say that the answers aren't always clear to t...

July 11, 6:30pm

I also liked your review
Statements like these are significant to the typical reader: One hour later I went to check the progress. Remember I was at 52%!!! I was hoping to be around 75%. Honestly that would have been great...

In GEAR » Suntactics sCharger-5
July 11, 6:21am

All Reader Reviews by Buck Nelson

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Marmot Hydrogen (2004 model)
I've got an older model with the shorter zipper that weighs 23 oz. I use it with my warm clothing (down jacket, balaclava, long underwear) on the coldest nights. I've slept toasty down into th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
December 31, 10:08pm

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tent
I used this shelter on my Desert Trail hike, Mexico to Canada, followed by three weeks canoeing the Yellowstone River. My shelter...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
November 20, 9:43am

SMD Wild Oasis
I got my Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis for the Pacific Crest Trail. I already had the SMD Lunar Solo, which I love, but decided to save a few more ounces with the Wild Oasis. I planned to switch to the ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
December 14, 5:20pm

Darn Tough Socks Boot Sock Cushion and Full Cushion, Merino Wool
I have been a loyal Smartwool wearer for years. For me, Merino wool is the way to go. On prior thru-hikes Smartwools were very comfortable but seemed to wear out too quickly. So for the PCT I got some...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
December 03, 10:43pm

ULA Helix "Ice Axe" Potty Trowel
I bought one at the "kick-off" to use on the PCT. It broke when I was chopping snow to melt for drinking water. I was appalled when I looked at the broken pieces to see how weak this "i...

In Climbing Gear & Accessories
December 02, 10:56pm

GoLite GoLite customer service
I liked my Golite Infinity pack but the material was too weak. Golite quickly and cheerfully replaced the pack. Unfortunately I hadn't requested a newer model and after nearly two thousand miles t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 05, 12:05pm

Everestgear.com Customer Service
I hiked the Continental Divide Trail last summer. In New Mexico there were two pieces of new gear I wanted. A friend put in an order with Everestgear.com on my behalf to be delivered to Ghost Ranch. W...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 21, 4:05pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
I used these gloves on my CDT hike. Ultralight hiking is all about tradeoffs, and these gloves were a good compromise. Under normal cool conditions, say to just below freezing, they were quite warm. T...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
November 26, 8:41am

Titanium Goat AGP AGP
I used these poles on my CDT and PCT and Desert Trail hikes. I often hike with a single pole. These are not poles for people hard on gear. If y...

In Trekking Poles
October 08, 1:58pm

Pak-Lite White Super
This is a very good light. I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 5 because this is the Backpackinglight website, and there are other lights that are much smaller, lighter, and do a similarly good job. Fo...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 08, 11:31am