Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 131 - 140 of 414 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...42

Forum » Thread

Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
It's easy enough to mark declination on a compass with a piece of tape, not that I've ever done this as I don't think it's necessary. Plenty of non-sighting compasses have adjustabl...

In Editor's Roundtable » Brunton 7DNL Compass Review
May 27, 8:09am

"I actually navigate off the sun most of the time" Roger, how lucky you are! I often navigate off the wind.

May 26, 5:52pm

Nicholas, I can navigate just as accurately with a base plate compass. It's not difficult. And I never hold the base up to my eye. Also, orienteering is about navigating in woods and finding ti...

May 26, 4:10pm

I'm not going to knock mirror/sighting compasses but it's false to say they are needed for complex navigation. Orienteers don't use them and their navigation needs to be precise. I'...

May 26, 7:24am

Bombproof Geodesic 2 Man Mountain Tents
I'm going to disagree with Roger and Mike here. I've pitched geodesic domes in very high winds and pouring rain many times and never had a problem. Pegging down one end of the tent stops it...

In GEAR » Bombproof Geodesic 2 Man Mountain Tents
May 10, 7:39am

Tarptent = no good in high wind?
Just to clarify I have used the Scarp 1 extensively. I have not used the Scarp 2. The Scarp 1 has good wind resistance when used with just the single hoop and excellent wind resistance with the cro...

In GEAR » tarptent in the winter?
April 19, 6:14am

Which tent for Iceland trek
Well, there's a coincidence! Yes, long Y stakes for the soft gravel.

In GEAR » Which tent for Iceland trek
April 01, 4:26pm

Which tent for Iceland trek
TarpTent Scarp 1 with crossover poles or a pyramid tent with inner. A mixture of thin titanium pins and wide angle pegs. That should cope with most conditions. My one trip to Iceland, many years ag...

In GEAR » Which tent for Iceland trek
April 01, 10:25am

Backcountry/Tele Skiing
I wouldn't totally forget plastic - touring boots like the Garmont Xcursion are excellent. I've used them for ski tours everywhere from Yellowstone to Lapland in recent years. They can be u...

In Winter Hiking » Backcountry/Tele Skiing
March 04, 2:36pm

Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks - stove
The WI runs okay on straight gasoline - I'd use that over diesel any day. Diesel is much harder to light and quite smoky in my experience but if it might be the only available fuel then the XGK...

In Gear Lists » Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks
February 16, 3:00pm

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.