Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Matthew Swierkowski (Berserker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me I've been backpacking for several years, and am not an ultralight guy...I'm probably teetering on the line between light weight and traditional. I normally carry 25 - 35 lbs (total weight including food and water). I typically go on 5 - 6 trips a year consisting of weekend trips with a longer (1 - 2 weeks) one mixed in there. I have been section hiking the AT since late '07, and am a quarter of the way through it. Other than the AT and local hikes I have also hiked in the Sierras and Southern Utah.
StateVA
My PDF Gear ListTypical Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 131 - 140 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Re: Why Backpacking?
Yeah, I know what you mean about most others not understanding. Interestingly enough I first got into backpacking for the challenge. I was into bicycle racing (road and mountain), and wanted to t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why Backpacking?
March 16, 11:12am

Re: Question for Franco the Rainbow Warrior
I have a DR, and can sympathize with the closing of the vestibule from the inside. I basically do what Franco described if I understand his description correctly. One thing I do a little differen...

In GEAR » Question for Franco the Rainbow Warrior
March 16, 10:50am

Re: Re: Hanging a sleeping bag
I've had a down bag that has been hanging for a few years, and a couple of down bags that have been stored in the cotton sacks for a couple of years. I have noticed no appreciable difference i...

In GEAR » Hanging your WM bag
March 15, 11:27am

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
Yeah, 4 lbs 3 oz is the weight on my postal scale with all accesories attached (that's the summit flap, 2 side water bottle holders and a hipbelt pouch). My popcan is made out of the green nyl...

In GEAR » Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
March 12, 11:39am

Re: Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
I think it was a little more than 6 months since I purchased it, but my favorite piece of gear purchased in the last six months and possibly my overall favorite is my McHale Popcan pack. Yeah it&#...

In GEAR » Favorite Piece of Gear Purchased? Last 6 Mo.
March 09, 10:52am

Re: Bag Liners
I use a silk liner primarily to keep my bags clean, and to be honest I don't find the liner that comfortable. It makes getting into the bag more difficult, and I tend to get a little tangled u...

In GEAR » Bag Liners
March 02, 10:57am

Re: critter cans?
I hike primarily in NC where we have about the same critters as you do up in MA. I usually use a large Granite Gear stuff sack and hang it from a limb using the PCT method of hanging food (describ...

In GEAR » critter cans?
February 22, 11:12am

Re: Re: Re: Western Mountaineering Versalite and condensation
I wouldn't get to frustrated, and I wouldn't recommend selling the bag. Usually when I get condensation on mine it's under very damp conditions. I have had mornings where it is 100% d...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering Versalite and condensation
February 19, 10:45am

Re: Western Mountaineering Versalite and condensation
I've been using Versalite for a couple of years. I also own and use a WM Caribou. In general I have noticed that the Versalite seems to absorb condensation a little more readily than the Cari...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering Versalite and condensation
February 15, 11:02am

Re: Breathable Liner for the Double Rainbow Tarptent?
I personally think it works pretty well. It attaches at 8 points, and covers the entire "ceiling panel" of the DR from the the floor at one end to the other end. Even with it in I still ...

In GEAR » Breathable Liner for the Double Rainbow Tarptent?
February 15, 10:46am

All Reader Reviews by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Princeton Tec EOS
I’ve been using this headlamp (both the original and newer version) for years. The reviewers above pretty much covered everything with this headlamp, so I am not going to repeat all that. It’s light...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
March 02, 10:52am

Hilleberg Akto
I have used this tent many nights over the last few years. It has been my main inclement weather/winter tent, so it typically sees the worst weather I go out in. Well, let’s get right into this. ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 02, 10:50am

Tarptent Squall
I have been using this tent off and on for a few years now, and it has served me well. I use it as a solo tent. I have the original version in sil-nylon (the pre-Squall II version). I use trekking ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 02, 10:49am

Western Mountaineering Caribou
Since I bought this bag in 2004 (I think), this has probably been one of my most used pieces of gear. Being someone that does sound engineering on the side (as a hobby of sorts), I always feel that I...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 02, 10:47am