BPL Community Profile

Barry P (BarryP) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
About Me Electrical Engineer by trade. Hobbies include recumbent bike riding, magic, piano, music compostion and of course backpacking.

Backpack monthly with scouts or other small group. Love the exercise and alertness it brings. Ray Way caught my eye in 2001. My load lightened. Because of that, able to go faster, farther, AND still smell the roses. Love the lightweight insight on this forum. I'm also a Teva sandal backpacker. My feet love them.
StateID
My PDF Gear ListBarry's Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Barry P

Showing 131 - 140 of 353 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...36

Forum » Thread

Re: Adventurer Opti fail
“Back home, measured battery voltage, and both CR123's at about 2.89V. How low can battery voltage go, and unit still work?” Just some thoughts: 1. What was the brand? 2. How were the ...

In GEAR » Updated Steripens?
October 08, 12:54pm

Re: Gear you use off the trail
Every day use and backpacking: 1. I wear the same sandals to work as I do in the Tetons, Sawtooths, Timpenogas, etc., 2. I wear the same zip pants backpacking and to work. I have 6 pair. I bike t...

In GEAR » Gear you use off the trail
October 04, 5:42pm

Re: Re: Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses
“Try these (Sport EZE) ” +1 I use these almost every day biking. Since I wear glasses, these easily slip over any glasses and keep the glasses on when sweating. However I have broken about...

In GEAR » Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses?
September 26, 12:33pm

Re: cuben fiber, is it worth the extra money.
I have 4 Tarptent tents and one Gossamer Gear tent. And I have always been going to the Hexamid tent. I keep taking it for the following reasons: 1. Mine is 8.0oz with my seam sealing and no ext...

In GEAR » cuben fiber, is it worth the extra money.
September 25, 1:46pm

Re: Has anyone gone back to wearing boots after trying shoes?
+2 on David T’s flexing. I never looked at it that way, but that’s how it ends up. With a stiff sole, it’s fun walking on scree; it feels like a massage. If it brings excruciating pain then ...

In GEAR » Has anyone gone back to wearing boots after trying shoes?
September 07, 12:48pm

Re: Looking for Dehydrated-Meal-in-Freezer-Bag Cooking Advice
I take a 2 serving MH meal and split it into 2 1qt Ziploc bags. I then write on the bags what it is and how much water is needed. If I’m eating above 30°F, then I don’t use a cozy. That way, i...

In GEAR » Looking for Dehydrated-Meal-in-Freezer-Bag Cooking Advice
September 05, 3:19pm

Re: Pots for 2 people/couples
Sorry for late response. “I was wondering what do you guys recommend in terms of cooking pots/dishes, utensils etc. for couples. What sort of pots, sizes, materials, brand names etc. are good...

In GEAR » Pots for 2 people/couples
August 21, 5:16pm

Re: How do you survive the bugs?
“I am thinking of getting this head net http://www.coghlans.com/products/mosquito-head-net-8941 Does anyone have it? Do you liked it? Any problems with it? Are you using any other head nets?” ...

In GEAR » How do you survive the bugs?
August 21, 4:58pm

Re: Quilt + Bag = ??
“Have I done the math correctly?” It appears you have. For example, a WM Kodiak is 7” loft at 0F. But that’s total bag loft. Cut it in half for top loft, or 3.5”. So the top loft of...

In GEAR » Quilt + Bag = ??
August 21, 1:03pm

Re: Ground Sheet: Beyond the Space Blanket
“What's my next step up in terms of durability without adding much more weight?” +1 on polycro though it takes long to dry also. But I like its strength and weight :) Going with your ...

In GEAR » Ground Sheet: Beyond the Space Blanket
July 27, 1:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Barry P

Barry P has posted no reviews.