BPL Community Profile

Andy F (AndyF) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Midwest/Midatlantic
About Me Andy F has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWet-cold winter

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andy F

Showing 131 - 140 of 1255 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ...126

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: UL Tent Recommendations - Under $400
"...I think you'd be wise to stick with tents per your OP to help reduce your exposure to ticks." I think bug bivys used with a tarp can be just as effective as tents, especially i...

In GEAR » UL Tent Recommendations - Under $400
April 11, 10:04am

Re: UL Tent Recommendations - Under $400
Any tent is going to have condensation in these conditions. Some of them won't drip on you most of the time. Even a tarp will have condensation often, but you can minimize the effects and pitch...

In GEAR » UL Tent Recommendations - Under $400
April 11, 8:37am

Re: MRT in April
Hi all, Another trip closer to home came up, and I'm going to do that instead.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip)
April 10, 12:44pm

Re: Re: Helium HD
"anything LESS than 32 is going to be frozen. So even just a soft shell and a down jacket is fine." There are no absolutes though. :) It could be 28F, and a warm rain won't freeze ...

In GEAR » Advice for a hardshell for early spring and late fall.
April 05, 11:50am

Re: Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?
If you use drinkable alcohol (Everclear), then you can swish some of that around, drink the remnant, and the remaining alcohol will evaporate faster than water. Just don't get into the habi...

In GEAR » Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?
April 04, 11:57am

Re: Advice for a hardshell for early spring and late fall.
I'm really just saying what others have said differently, but ideally you need a soft shell and a hard shell for that temp range. Maybe around 20-25F is the starting lower range for using a har...

In GEAR » Advice for a hardshell for early spring and late fall.
April 03, 8:57am

Re: Rain Protection
I use either DriDucks or an eVENT Packa. The Packa is almost three times the weight. (I always use a pack liner on the inside of the pack anyway.) I can't decide which I like better. Constant r...

In GEAR » Rain Protection
March 28, 8:31am

Re: The final theory for the final decision...
A bag-style VBL is going to make it tricky to use insulated clothing very effectively. You can't wear insulated clothing inside the VBL because it will become wet, degrading the insulation valu...

In GEAR » Extreme winter sleeping bag system advice?
March 26, 12:51pm

Re: Gränsfors-Bruks Mini Hatchet Review
I like the pack.

In Editor's Roundtable » Gränsfors-Bruks Mini Hatchet Review
March 26, 10:45am

Re: Backpacking solo
"When in doubt, bail out. I've cut short many trips when multiple signs were pointing the wrong way. Like the morning I woke up with a bloody nose, giant blisters on both feet, and snow fa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpacking solo
March 25, 10:30am

All Reader Reviews by Andy F

Andy F has posted no reviews.