Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1281 - 1290 of 1688 | Page: 1 ...120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ...169

Forum » Thread

Re: Richard, MB#2 Burrow loft 8,9,11,10cm
Brett, Thank you for your help! Your numbers convert into an average double layer loft reading of 3.75". I trust your average double layer loft of 3.75" measurement to be accurate. ...

In GEAR » 0* Or Lower Womens Bags?
November 13, 8:36pm

Re: Re: "0* Or Lower Bags?"
P.P. - I suggest rationalizing your purchase as follows: - You already had a 0F bag but with moisture absorption and a real cold snap; so, you really needed a SS EXP with a rating of -20F - An ...

In GEAR » 0* Or Lower Womens Bags?
November 10, 8:08pm

Re: Condensation fix?
Franco - If you are thinking of ion maskā„¢ treatment of a breathable fabric it will provide long term water repellency but not true waterproofness. For true waterproofness, the treated breathable ...

In GEAR » Condensation fix for single wall tents ?
November 07, 7:19pm

Re: Material equal to . . .
Ian - Polartec 100 = ~ 5.7 oz/yd^2; loft = ~ .148; intrinsic clo = ~ 1.1; and clo/oz = ~ .2. A typical size M zip T in Polartec 100 will weigh ~ 10 oz. This material was originally market targeted ...

In GEAR » Material equal to . . .
November 07, 9:57am

Re: Re: Zero degree bag shootout
My 800 fill SS DH #2 has 1 1/2" stiff zipper snag guards on both zipper halves. I don't have a WM bag to compare it to, but none of my BA, TNF, REI, or AD bags have this feature.

In GEAR » Zero degree bag shootout
November 06, 9:46am

Re: Re: Zero degree bag shootout
Montbell modified their zippers, to eliminate snagging, on their newer 800 fill down bags.

In GEAR » Zero degree bag shootout
November 06, 8:52am

Re: Fill weight
That combination provides an 11F sleeping system. 11 ounces of 800 fill is the norm for an accurate 30F rated bag. Some vendors are conservative in that they provide up to 13 ounces for this 30...

In GEAR » Sleeping bags and fill weight
November 01, 9:14am

Re: Re: Re: "How can I make my sleeping bag warmer for winter travel??"
It would requre approxiamtely 1.94 clo of clothing to be worn in your 40 degree bag to bring to acheive thermal comfort equivalent to a 20 degrees F bag. To achieve this would require ~1/2" of...

In Make Your Own Gear » How can I make my sleeping bag warmer for winter travel??
October 31, 11:13pm

Re: Sleeping bags and fill weight
Yes, if they use the same fill power of down.

In GEAR » Sleeping bags and fill weight
October 31, 10:10pm

Re: Clothing vs. Bags vs. Ratings
Ben - Some examples of manufacturers who provide temperature rating for their high loft clothing are LL Bean and Lands End.

In GEAR » Cocoon Conundrum
October 30, 2:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm